Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

How big is your dog?

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion How big is your dog?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    melissa_9485
    Participant

I am just curious, currently my pup is 8 months old and just hit 30 pounds. Some people are shocked at how old she is because she looks so small (she is a good weight for her body, not too big or skinny). What did your puppy weight at about 8 months and how big are they as an adult?

raisins mom
    Participant

When I adopted Raisin the shelter listed him as 3 to 4 months. I took him to the vet and they said he was closer to 7 or 8 months. He weighed 32 lbs. He was small and thin. He is now almost a year and probably close to or just over 50 lbs now His chest is a bit wider but he still maintains more of the athletic look over the shorter wider pits I have seen. I have heard that pits can be slower to mature as far as personality and or size. Not sure how true that is I found my last pit mix as an adult. This is my first “youngin” and it’s been an experience. Haahaa

jenrosales
    Participant

i have a female as well and she is nine months and weighs 63 pounds…to me she looks small but shes short and stocky. my male pit is 2yrs old and weighs the same as her…so i guess it just depends?

cassin09
    Participant

my male pit is 2 yrs.and weighs 103 so who knows

2 Bullies
    Participant

I have a 2 year old female and she is full grown at 40 pounds.

loveabull88
    Participant

i have a 3 yr old male pit and he weighs about 80 lbs. maybe more now. when we got him he was real skinny.

Fallon_Renee
    Participant

Koopa weighed about 50-60 lbs at 8 months. He just turned a year old today and weighs 65-70 lbs. He is 22 inches tall, has a 21 inch head and a 20 inch neck. We had a male red nose named Bowser that weighed 55-60 at 9 months old and was 20 inches tall, had a 19-20 inch head. We also had a female named Akasha that weighed about 40-45 lbs at 7-9 months old, she was a foster/rescue so not 100% sure on what her age was. With the different bloodlines and strains of pit bulls their weigh and size can vary quite a bit. ABPT’s are usually 18-22 inches tall and weigh between 22-110 pounds depending on the bloodlines. Am. Staffs. are usually 16-19 inches tall and weight between 57-67 pounds. Am. Bullies are usually 17-21 inches tall and has no particular weight range that I could find.

nikki9093
    Participant

i have a 1 yr old and hes almost 70 lbs. my mini-pit, who’s 4yrs old, is just about 30 lb.

Gabriel2009
    Participant

I really didnt pay much attention to Gabriel’s weight when he was a puppy, but he grew super fast!
    no he is about 26” tall from head to toe and weighs in close to 90 pounds, he is a year old.

Loki Monster
    Participant

Loki is 9.5 months old, fixed, and male and we’re guessing he’s about 55 pounds. We haven’t weighed him in a while so he might be more.

KaylasMom
    Participant

@jenrosales

If your pit is 9 months old, short and stocky, and already weighs 63 pounds, I hate to break it to you but you do not have a pit bull.

More than likely, you have an American Bully. This is a newer “breed” of dog that has come onto the circuit that backyard breeders are trying to pass off as “big, blocky, and heavy pit bulls.” They aren’t. They are crosses of pits, American Bulldogs, and the English bulldog (to give it the stocky look). They can grow to weigh over 100lbs, males especially. I saw one come through the other day that was 130 pounds. Sweet as can be, but massive as all get out. That is not the way pit bulls are.

The weight of an average male APBT is between 35 to 60 pounds, and a female is 30-50 pounds. Those are the standards according to the UKC and reputable breeders. Of course, there are “pocket pitties” out there (tinier pit bulls that just have stunted growth) and larger pitties, but not like what you have!

Regardless, you will have a great dog (not to mention big)!

KaylasMom
    Participant

I have a pit mix and depending on the time of year, her weight ranges from 46 to 51 pounds. She is a taller dog than many APBT’s, but she is also a mix.

True ABPTs are realatively small dogs, as comapred to many other breeds. Height and weight should be in proportion, as should head size to the body. Yes, a APBT or Am Satff tendds to sometimes have a brick/block like head, but they are still rather proportionate to the body.

A height of about 18 to 19 inches at shoulders for the male and 17 to 18 inches for the female is to be considered preferable and standard for APBTs. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Yes, there are dogs smaller and bigger due to breeding, but the weights should not be near 100 lbs or over! Those are dogs that have English bulldog and mastiff in them.

The American Bully, which it sounds like some of you have, resemble pits and Am Staffs with their features. There are many groups that are trying to promote the Am Bully into becoming its own separate breed, but the factor of so many backyard breeders creating this breed, it may take a long time, if ever. There are some reputable breeders out there attempting to make this a recognized breed, but it isn’t recognized with most canine organizations just yet.

ABs typically are 14 to 20 inches in height. They tend to be stockier and shorter than APBTs. There are pocket ABs, standard, and XL ABs. There aren’t any weight standards that have really been established at this time, but both sexes generally range between 70-120 lbs. The body is longer than it is taller.

Regardless, they are all bully breeds and we gotta love ’em all!

go ask alice
    Participant

Alice is just turning 16 weeks this friday and she weighes over 20lbs maybe even 30, but shes really long, lean and short. Starting to get a big bull head on her tho, and her knee’s and paws are huuge tho, its pretty cute. Her mom was 55lbs and her dad was around 65lbs but pretty stockey looking. When i got her at 8 weeks she was around 1lbs or so.

go ask alice
    Participant

11lbs**

KaylasMom
    Participant

@go ask alice:

I just love that name for a dog–Alice. Too cute. She sounds like she will be a good size, as were her parents. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.