Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Dog Aggression

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Dog Aggression

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    jadedgemini61387
    Participant

He’s had his surgery now. I honestly don’t think it is My Pit starting it. I have watched them closely and my begal mix (sp?) Is the one who growls first which starts my pit up… Im getting my other dog fixed as soon as I get paid this go round to see if it helps…because I had my pit in the cage/crate thing when my mom brought my other dog back to me and he sniffed Kota (pit) and instantly started growling… and of course made kota mad…Its hard having to have them live 2 separate lives when they used to sleep,eat and play together all the time…Its driving me nuts… I don’t want to get rid of either they are both like my children esp my pit he sleeps,eats, and cuddles with me since my husband has been deployed with out him i dont think i could make it thru this deployment…

angsaysrawr
    Participant

Growling isn’t necessary a bad thing though. Generally it’s just a warning to back off. If he attacks after the growl then he is definitely starting something.

Has anything changed in the environment since the dogs stopped getting along?

jadedgemini61387
    Participant

Umm my husband came home for 2 weeks for R&R…thats about the only thing i can think of but i dont see a reason that would mess anything up.

angsaysrawr
    Participant

I disagree. Having someone introduced to the environment who is not normally around is a HUGE change for a dog. It can confuse them, especially if they’re accustomed to having most of the attention and that attention is now focused elsewhere.

janice524
    Participant

I would try a training class together. that way they are in a controled environment and you can work with the trainer to address the issues they are having with one another. Exercise also helps a tired pit is a good pit. If you have someone else that can help you take the 2 of them for walks together. dont give them time to get aggressive just walk at a fast pace so they get used to each other but you have to do this on a regular basis and eventually with some work you can have 2 dogs that get along. I have 6 and I’ve hhad some problems but I never let it get to the point that they actually start fighting. If you watch myou can pick up signals from them and prevent stuff before it happens. but a calm assertive approach is needed. If you are nervous and fearful they will pick up on it.

mommy of lilo
    Participant

My pit is awesome with my children and my 2 yr old rides her like a horse. However, when we take her out to the vet, groomer, etc. she gets very aggressive. We are pretty sure that she only wants to play, but her vocals give people a different impression. We are doing the best we can to work with her, but it doesn’t seem to be enough. We do not take her anywhere without a harness, but I want to be able to walk with her without feeling like I went to the gym for an intense upper body workout. Please help me!

angsaysrawr
    Participant

Have you tried walking her before going to the vet? It sounds like she has a lot of pint of energy that she’s trying to release. How often do you walk her and for how long?

EricaD13
    Participant

He should have been fixed months ago, shes right. Thats where the aggression is coming from, its not easy to fix when the dog is intact past a certain age. He should lose a lot of the dog aggression once he’s fixed. It is SOOOO important to spay and neuter your dogs, ESPECIALLY pits. They’re the most highly populated dog in this country, and the #1 dog that is euthanized in shelters. PLEASE get your dog fixed.

criminy
    Participant

Find a new vet. That’s the most ridiculous load of hooey I’ve ever heard.

criminy
    Participant
    Taana
    Participant

Diligence is the answer. At first the crate n rotate method bothered me a great deal but it has made everyone safe and a lot less vet visits. You may also want to invest in a break stick (only to be used on pits)in case a fight does break out. Learn how to use it properly. IMO Ceasar Milan is an idiot, he reminds me of a power hitter. I do not train my dog obiedence through fear. I am the pack leader in the house and I taught it by positive reinforcement. Once they are fixed the aggression MAY subside due to his age and is never guarenteed. Train thru positive reinforcement, crate n rotate, exercise, exercise and never leave an animal alone with children or other animals without supervision. You leave the room, so does the dog. As far as the yowling, mine does the same, it is just a part of the pits makeup. PBRC.net is a great resource

designerrelity
    Participant

As many have mentioned, same sex aggression can usually be fixed by a spay/neuter. However, in some cases it doesn’t do the trick. In this case you are going to have to put in work and desensitize the dogs to one another and be sure they know that YOU are the pack leader and that it’s your den. You merely share it with them. If you are uncomfortable desensitizing the dogs on your own I recommend that you seek professional help with it.

Three easy steps to pack leadership:

1) Schedule your dogs feeding. The pack leader determines when the pack eats in nature. Not to mention: What comes in on a schedule comes out on a schedule.

2) Never let your dogs go through your front door (or any other door that leads in or out of the building before you). This shows your dogs that you are going to look out for them and make sure the area is safe.

3) Take your dogs spot. This shows both your dogs that YOU are the pack leader. If they are on your couch, make them move and then sit down in the spot they were in, and then invite them back up. Also, if they are asleep on the ground, wake them up and make them move.

Once you have established yourself as the pack leader, if the aggression continues begin the desensitization process. I recommend a baby gate. One dog gets one side of the house, the other dog gets the other. Gradually let them get used to smelling each other. Once they can smell each other at the gate without growls and barks or hair erection, then let them mingle for 5 minutes, then once they have been okay at 5 minutes for awhile, move it to 15, so on. *WARNING* Desensitization is a very slow process.

Also, were the dogs introduced on neutral territory?

Rascal
    Participant

I have a problem with my male APBT. He is great with my Pomeranian. But is very aggressive with ANY other dog. He is neutered. I live in an apartment and have to wait and make sure no one else is out with their dogs before I take him out. I would love to be able to take him to the dog park to play but it is impossible. Any suggestions?????

amandamcconnell
    Participant

NO she will not turn on you! If she is the one that bit the lady it is because the lady got inbetween the fight. Dog fights happen, all we can do is try to control it. If you can afford the fines and the jail time, then Do what you must to save your dog. The animal control are saying that because in most states it is the law to put an animal to sleep that has bit a human or attacked another dog. This has nothing to do with you or your children. Pits are very loyal and although all dogs can turn, it does not mean that yours will. In the end it is your choice on what you will do with your dog. If you do not want to put her down, but want to get rid of her out of fear, then ask the animal control if you can take her to a no kill shelter or to a rescue, most of the time these places are happy to take in an animal than to let it die for stupidity.

amandamcconnell
    Participant

I do not think that this is dog aggression, it is dominance. The dog seems to be showing that he is large and in charge. The only way to fix this is work. You have to put a lot of time and effort into the problem or he will keep this behavior.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.