Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

what to tell my wife

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion what to tell my wife

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ticosti23
    Participant

i just got a 3 month old pit but my wife thinks this dog is a monster or something like it i told her that i had a pit before for many years and was a great dog and a few friends of us have pits great dogs by the way but she says she feels insecure about the dog i also told her to look online and research about the true about pits we have 3 kids 2 8 and 11 and the love the puppy also a little poodle everybody is fine with the dog but her i told her to not just judge the dog and give the dog time so she sees is a dog like any other just a bad reputation that is not true

loveabull88
    Participant

sorry to say it but, people like your wife irritate me. Why dont you have her go to this site and read up? Also it may help to teach your dog some cute tricks, Its hard to think a dog that begs and plays peek a boo is a monster. It is possible to change her opinion, I have a 2 year old and when we first brought home our dog, my parents and my fiance’s parents thought we’d lost our marbles. My parents adore my dog now, we’re still working on the future inlaws though. Kinda would help if they would actually enter our house now. Although, i must say if i knew getting a pitbull was all i had to do to keep the fiance’s mom out of my house, I’d have got one years ago hahaha. good luck. Hold your ground and she’ll see they are good dogs. It just might take awhile.

Yaminpix
    Participant

I understand why your wife feels the way she does. The only thing we ever seem to hear about pit bulls is that they are killing machines ready to attack. She is a mother who loves her family and wants them to be safe. Unfortunately most of what we hear is false information spread around by the media, who are more interested in making a dramatic story than using facts in the case of the pit bull. Include her as much as you can in activities with the pup, training, feeding, going on walks, any positive activity. She’s a smart lady who loves her family, I’m sure in time and with help from you, she will appreciate your new addition. Just be positive and make her feel included, even if at first she doesn’t want to be included. My dog is a pit bull german shepherd mix (3/4 pit 1/4 shepherd) and he loves cats children, special needs people, the elderly, and anyone or anything else he meets. Being mostly pit bull, he has a higher pain tolerance than other breeds which might get hurt with rough kid play and bite in defense. Watch out! He’ll lick you to death! Good luck!

nikki9093
    Participant

she should go watch my home vids that i have on facebook….she would laugh so hard….i agree with going and researching. take it slow i think. the puppy, after all is still just a puppy. lots of time to let everyone grow with your new puppy and for your pup to grow with you. 🙂

tanksmom
    Participant

I will admit that when my husband first suggested we get a pit puppy, I first said “Are you out of your mind?!” But I went online and found a lot website (including this one!). And we went and visited my husband’s friend’s dogs (he has three pits). We have two young boys in my house (7 and 3) and our puppy has been amazing with them. She might not just be a dog person – I never really thought of myself as one either, but I’ve fallen in love with our Tank! I hope things work out for you!

KaylasMom
    Participant

So sorry to hear about this! But, it sounds as if the decision to get the dog wasn’t a family decision. Getting a dog needs to be a decision agreed upon by all. If your wife feels this way about the dog now, she may begin to resent the dog later on. Resentment is not the kind of energy that you want in the house. The dog will sense this. They read us better than we can ever read them. But, that is a family issue and not about the breed of dog. I may be really off kilter here, but your post just sounds like that is what happened.

Trying to “convince” people that pits are great dogs can get to be a challenge at times. The media bias has totally impacted their thoughts in their minds, and there isn’t much out there that can dissuade them from their ideas about the breed. There are the die hard supporters and the die hard haters. You cannot change the minds of either. You cannot boast about how wonderful your dog is. You need to be able to spit out cold hard facts about the breed, its history, and its future. That is the only way to begin to change minds.

If your wife is willing, she needs to spend a lot of time with the dog. The family should take the dog to puppy classes (should do it anyway) to work on socializing and to also get positive feedback about pits from people who work with them all the time. Puppies are always adorable, and you never hear about puppies in the news. So, you need to start now with your dog and continue on the rest of that dog’s life with training, socialization, and so much else.

Get involved in a pit bull club or organization and show her how the breed really is. There is nothing better then getting together with many others who share the same passion about a breed of dog, and not to mention being surrounded by these wonderful dogs!

Research, research, research. That is what my life consists of, so I thrive on it. But, your wife will learn a lot about the breed if she just sits down and looks at some of the positive pit websites out there. Pit Bull Rescue Central, BAD RAP, and Hello Bully are to name a few of the top ones out there. There is so much to learn and so much to love. Even if you have had pit bulls before, you can still learn even more. BAD RAP took in many of the Vick dogs, and there are bios and follow-ups on them. That will help your wife understand that even the worst treated fighting dogs can be just like any other dog. There will be anit-pit bull websites too, but the positive outweighs the negative.

It isn’t the breed of dog…it is the animal at the other end of the leash. Us. As humans, we are the ones that are screwing up the dogs, and that goes for ANY breed of dog. Not to stereotype, but many with toy dogs and small dogs tend to baby their dogs and think everything that they do is cute, when in reality is is FAR from cute. If those of us with bigger dogs let them get away with what little dogs get away with, our dogs would be confiscated and destroyed at the blink of an eye. It is all about us.

Yes, there are some dogs out there of any breed that have neurological issues, pain, and other issues that could be causing the aggression. But 99.999% of the time, it isn’t the dog. It is their humans. The humans failed the dog. The human doesn’t care for the dog as one should. The human doesn’t learn to read dog body language to prevent incidents from occuring. The human leaves the dog outside for hours on end. The human doesn’t exercise and stimulate the dog mentally. The human pyhsically punishes the dog. It all comes back to us if we don’t do our “job”.

I wish the best for you and the family!

ticosti23
    Participant

thanks everybody my wife did what u guys said and did some research and after a month the dog is now part of our family she now understand that is a dog like any other and we are very happy with our new puppy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.