Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Strangers and your pit.

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Strangers and your pit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    go ask alice
    Participant

To me, the most annoying thing is when your calmly walking down the road and some person stops and goes ” AWEEEEH, WHAT A CUTIE, YES YOU ARE, YES YOU ARE” obviously trying to get my dog excited. I think you should always ask to greet someone elses dog and when you do, you shouldnt be all up in his or her face screeching about how cute he or she is. Dogs dont care about that, but what they do care about is what kind of energy your bringing into the situation. I find it really frusterating because being an owner of a 15 week old puppy, its hard to keep her calm in the first place. Is it just me or do other people have the same problem? i wanna here your story!

KaylasMom
    Participant

I agree. Going right up to an unknown dog and getting in its face, talking baby talk, and many other things is just wrong. Many dogs don’t take to strangers well (even if they love people) and bad things could happen.

I have been lucky that most people ask to pet Kayla, and I always thank them for doing so. Though, she has a backpack that she wears a lot of places that has patches that say “I am friendly! ASK to pet me!”. That helps. Most people think that she is a service dog (therapy dog in training), so they leave her alone, but will strike up a conversation and ask to pet her.

Puppy owners have it the worst I think! Everyone seems to love a puppy. Sadly, I am one of a handful who just isn’t a puppy person. Yes they are cute, but I am partial to the adults.

go ask alice
    Participant

I agree, i always welcome people to come and pet my dog considering its good socializing skills but it really bugs me when people let there 5 year old kids run up to my dog and try and pick her up. i always politely tell them thats not a very respectful way to greet someone elses dog considering it freaks her right out and if she did happen to be aggressive then they could get seriously injured.

I have actually thought of getting her a backpack like that, its a really good way in preventing this sorta thing from happening.

Im always up for educating someone about pitbulls or letting them pet Alice, i love introducing her to new people. But i do agree, people with puppies have it the hardest because people think just because there young, it means they like to be held and talked to like a baby, but thats definatly not the case, im looking forward to these puppy monthes to be over, i definately enjoy them right now, but i cant wait for her to be a full grown, perfect example of how pitbulls make perfect family dogs!

KaylasMom
    Participant

Kids are the worst! Sad thing is, we cannot blame the kids…it is the parents! They need to teach their children what is appropriate around dogs. Don’t tell them AFTER they already have swarmed and manhandled the dog. Tell them ahead of time.

I am usually very strightforward with people when they come up to my dog. I tell them that yes she is friendly, but to let her come to you first. She needs to learn about you first before you pet her. Same thing with kids. I usually politely call out the parents when the kids come running over to her. People need to understand that not every dog is comfortable being petted by strangers without “getting to know them” first.

When I see a dog that I would like to meet, I always ask first, and then I squat down and turn my side to the dog a little bit away from the dog. If the dog is interested, the dog will come over to me. After some sniffing and not looking at the dog, I slowly reach out. I don’t go over the head, but the lower neck and chin area. If I see the dog is giving me comforting signs, that I will become much more friendlier with the dog. But until then, I let the dog do what a dog is supposed to do.

Most people (especially those who don’t own dogs) do not know the first thing about dog communication. Once you understand dogs, then you know what to do with them.

People just need to realize that though the dog may look all cute and fluffy, rushing over to it is not the smartest thing to do. Parents need to teach kids how to behave around dogs, and I believe that many dog bites would be prevented if parents watched their children and taught them right from wrong. Don’t hug a dog (dogs do not like to be hugged), do not kiss a strange dog and do not climb on a dog. Dog may look like he likes it, but watch the eyes, the ears, the mouth, and the body. Those will truly tell you how the dog feels.

go ask alice
    Participant

I made a sign today because i noticed that lately when i take her to school, everyone runs up to her yelling “Aliice!!!!” and i’ve desided to stop that right now.

I made a sign saying ;

No Touch
    No Talk
    No Eye Contact.

If you would like to see her, please ask.

DO NOT greet her by running up and yelling her name.

Dogs do not communicate by talking, its by body language and energy.

So far people have been respecting it so if all goes well then i shouldnt have this problem anymore!

Thanks again Kayla’s Mom, i love all the advice you give.

KaylasMom
    Participant

That sounds like a Ceasar Milan sign! Though I am not a big fan of his methods, the “no touch, not talk, no eye contact” mantra is genius! Good job. If it works, use it! WHOOOO HOO!

I know I have been throwing out a lot of advice. Years of training, research, and my vet clinic. I like to help. We have all been there at some point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.