Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

stinky pup!!

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Health stinky pup!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jenrosales
    Participant

So im having trouble figuring out why my female pit smells so bad! lol.

So im having trouble figuring out why my female pit smells so bad! lol.
    I have a male and female, we take them baths at the same time but my female has this odor that dosent seem to go away! this is my first time owning a female dog in general and i was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? and how i can fix this? i tried different shampoos, changed there food, sprays..nothing works so far…so any suggestions will help please :]

Jadesmom
    Participant

Both pit bulls I’ve owned (female deceased & currently a 3 yr female) have had an odor.I have never owned a male pit bull. Like you, nothing I have tried has worked. All I can do is keep blankets on the sofas so they don’t start smelling like her & bathe her often. My other dog is a very furry terrier mix who never has an odor, even if its a long time between baths. I wonder if its a trait of short haired dogs, or just pits?

amberc922
    Participant

I have a female (almost 2yrs) and a male (2yrs). I’m curious as to what the smell smells like? Kira has never had a smell to her skin and bathes work great. Ace can get a bath and things he lays on smells like a dirty dog. Sometimes that just comes from them licking themselves too. However Kira is somewhat deformed in her rear area (sounds disturbing I know) but she can’t empty her anal glands very well on her own. If you have never smelled that then oh man it will knock you off your feet..lol. Example of it is the worst wrotten smelling fish you could smell. I would take her to the vet and the vet would empty them. I didn’t discover this until she was laying on my now ex husband and he was complaining of this horrible smell and I didn’t smell it but he got up and his shirt was a little wet and the couch. So I cleaned her up and ask the vet about it and that is what it was (anal glans emptying). Thank god it was on him lol. So that could be an issue too.

Miss Mouse
    Participant

I don’t have too much of a smell problem with my girl, but I heard someone mention once that they gave their dogs oatmeal baths (not oatmeal shampoo – actual oatmeal). It apparently did wonders for their coat and scent. It couldn’t hurt to try, right?

Bloo
    Participant

Our girl is 4 and she has anal gland problems too. It definately may be that. Take her to the vet or even a groomer and they will drain them. The smell will be gone for about a month. Some dogs have problems and some don’t. Ours does. Lol. Our groomer charges $5 to drain them.

Anyway, most likely that is your problem.

go ask alice
    Participant

I find my pitbull always smells so clean and fresh, shes a female but i do notice that if i forget to clean her ears, holy, the smell is so bad, i asked my vet and they said its normal and just to keep her ears clean. I’ve owned about 7 or 8 pitties and for some reason i find they all have that pitbull smell to them, have you checked to see if her skin looks normal? pitbulls are definatly prone to skin condition. I have a bigger dog and she smells absolutely horrible, but thats only when shes shedding and her skin gets really irratated by all the oils. Hope you find a solution to your problem!

KaylasMom
    Participant

My pit actually has a pleasant smell to her. I bathe her once a month, as bathing too much can cause the dog to overproduce oil or the opposite…dry out the skin! I clean her ears every week, and brush her teeth everyday. Pits do not have a distinct odor only to their breed. It is all about management of their health and body condition.

Many dog foods out on the market are of low quality and will actually cause a dog to release an all over smell due to the bad chemicals and products in the food. I am not talking about gas, but an actual body odor. Cheap dog food like you buy in a grocery store will cause more harm than good to your dog, and not to mention a stench! You need to feed a high quality dog food. What you feed your dog is so important to their well-being. If you pollute their system, they will smell like garbage.

The smell you are smelling could be from anywhere. It could be her ears, it could be from her mouth that just seems to engulf her, or it could be from her rear. Dogs may lick their urogenital region, but sometimes they need a good wiping a couple times a week with a baby wet wipe.

Most anal gland issues result in an odor and a secretion from the anus. Sadly, there are some dogs that need to have the glands surgically removed because they become infected. Other dogs have to have their anal glands expressed once a week! We have several dogs that have to come into my clinic once, sometimes twice a week, to have their anal glands expressed. It is a smell that you won’t forget, and I can’t even give a similar smell to compare it to.

Soem dogs that have a fungal skin infection also emit an odor. If you feel that the odor isn’t a normal dog odor, then it would be best to have your vet check her out to make sure it isn’t anything serious.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.