Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Skateboards

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rigby
    Participant

My dog FREAKS OUT every time she sees a skateboard. We live in NYC so unfortunately it’s pretty often that we see one. She is normally a very well behaved dog and listens to me, but when she sees a skateboard she goes into a trance – nothing exists but the skateboard… and you know what she wants to do to it? Chew on it.

Any suggestions for breaking her of this habit?!?!

My dog FREAKS OUT every time she sees a skateboard. We live in NYC so unfortunately it’s pretty often that we see one. She is normally a very well behaved dog and listens to me, but when she sees a skateboard she goes into a trance – nothing exists but the skateboard… and you know what she wants to do to it? Chew on it.

Any suggestions for breaking her of this habit?!?!

matt
    Participant

Understand completely. My pit gets scared when we pick up a folding chair, or even fold up his crate to move it. He starts barking, etc.

For the skateboard, you might need to buy one and just keep it in the house. Let her get used to it. Then start standing on it with your dog around.

Of course, it might just be the noise it makes on pavement that she is reacting too, so not sure.

Kotas Mommy
    Participant

Is she afraid of it or does she WANT it????????

Zr
    Participant

I actually have this same issue. Weird.
    I actually had a skateboard laying around and since we’ve figured out that she reacts to them, it’s been in the middle of the living room for her to sniff and check out. My brother and I are always standing on it (I don’t really know why.. it’s fun).

She’s good with people walking by on skateboards now, but the noise still makes her react. So we’ve been putting her in a sit/stay every time one goes by. If she stays, even if she reacts vocally, she gets praise. Once she has that down, we’ll be moving onto getting her attention on us and then work on keeping her quiet.

The problem here is that we don’t see them often, so it’s really slow going.

Vicks_pops
    Participant

We were having a smilar issue, only its with motorcycles. Not all motorcycles, just crotch rockets. I first noticed when Vick and I were on a walk; one zoomed passed and for the first time since hes been in my life, (about 6-7 months at the time,) he started barking and going nuts! After I got him settled down he was fine, a few minutes later another came by and it was game on again. What worked for us was sitting there for a good bit and everytime a bike flew passed Id just talk to him calmly and pet him. We have yet to have the problem again, now if I could just get him to stop going after squirrels.

mommy of 4 pitties
    Participant

Our little girl Gidget used to freak at the sight of a skateboard. Her boy and his friends ride them and when they bring them in she starts barking at the board. My son started putting it in the middle of the floor for her to get use to it just being there. When she could walk past it and not go off the deep end, he’d put her leash on and bring her close while he sat on it. He then started moving it slowly so she’d get use to the sound it made and also to show her it wasn’t going after her. It progressed to him standing on it and moving it slowly while walking her. Now he can leash her up and she pulls him on the skateboard. Now we are working on ballcaps. lol

Armywife_Barrett
    Participant

I trained a dog that freaked about bicycles, other dogs, cars, kids, and anything that passed him on a walk. He barked and lunged at them. Once he got to them he’d sniff and walk away, but it was scary for whoever he lunged at and embarrassing for his owners. The woman training him before me called him a “reactive” dog and said nothing was working. I decided simple is best, so I trained him to “leave it”.

Every time something would come near I would say “leave it” and stick a treat in his face. If he reacted after I’d keep walking. If he didn’t react he’d get another treat. I paid attention to our surroundings at all times so that I could treat him BEFORE he reacted (that’s the key). I just kept it up so that he knew he should focus on me and he’d get a treat.

Then I started rewarding him only if he looked at me without reacting when I said “leave it”. Then I rewarded him with a treat every other time he focused on me and just a pet and verbal praise the other times (so he wasn’t treat dependent). I walked him 3x a week for 2 weeks.

On our last walk I said “leave it” and we walked past a playground with screaming, running kids, bikes, and other people with dogs. He didn’t even notice them.

Every dog is trainable. You have to figure out their learning style.

Armywife_Barrett
    Participant

Perfect! Training in steps is the way to go. Desensitizing a little at a time, that way you don’t overload the dog. So glad your son was able to work through it and come out the other side with an even better bond with his dog. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.