Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Pitbull shot by police

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Current Events Pitbull shot by police

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

The following is a story that was just posted on-line by a nearby town’s news station. What I first don’t understand is a) where was the pit’s owner at the time? b) I’d REALLY like to see a photo of the dog, to determine that YES, it was a pitbull. and c) would the officer have used deadly force had a human charged in the same way?

http://www.kimt.com/content/localnews/story/Pitbull-attacks-Mason-City-Police-Officer/aY7IVNtSE0ODyLhT70-bFw.cspx

A pitbull is dead after it attacked a Mason City Police officer.
    Police responded to a call that two small children were playing in a pool in their front yard and had been charged by a pitbull on the 200 block of 15th Street NW.
    Parents were able to get the kids to safety, but when an officer tried to contact the owner, the pitbull attacked him. The officer was forced to shoot the dog.
    The police department says charges are pending.

rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

And not that long ago this morning, someone else commented on this story, first stating they were glad they kids involved were okay (as am I–I would hate to hear of anyone getting injured by an animal). But they went on to describe an incident where they were attacked by a pitbull, and that particular animal was also shot and killed. They, due to this, fully believe this breed should be banned from the city. I’m just not sure how I feel about it…maybe I’m a bit biased because I, too, own a pitbull. But we take precautions when playing, walking, etc., knowing he has a stronger build than other dogs around him, and that he can tend to be more dog-aggressive. I’m just interested in how many attacks happen by other breeds that don’t make the news?

I recently saw a story on the website for our local paper, the st.pete times that had a video of a couple stealing a dog from the humane society “drop box” (they call it that, but it’s just a locked outdoor kennel), anyway, there was a video with the story, in which, they refer to the dog in question as a pitbull. At the end of the clip, you can see the dog, and it was a bull terrier-a spuds mckensie dog- that I thought pretty much anyone would know because of how popular they were at one point. The reports are rarely ever right about the breed of whatever they’re talking about. At the end of the day, it’s all about sensationalism, they figure that more people will watch a story, or whatever if they say “pitbull”. Because, who in their right mind would believe a sweet lab, or cocker spaniel, or yorkie, or shih tzu would attack someone? And even if they did believe it, “blood thirsty, crazed yorkie” doesn’t quite roll off the tounge as well as “blood thirsty, baby killing pitbull”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.