Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Pit lab cross killed my cat

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Pit lab cross killed my cat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    merry
    Participant

1st post I don’t own a dog, just looking for advice.

I am in the UK. The chap who lives in the flat above me has a dog I have been told is a pit bull / Lab cross.

The flats are tiny 1 bedroom flats I think the flats are to small to keep a knee high, very powerful dog in.

The poor animal very rarely get any exercise, and when it does it goes wild.

On Sunday last this dog was being walked by a visitor. Not the normal keeper. Unaware of how aggressive the dog is, the lad walking it is a lot smaller than the owner, I believe he was surprised by its power and not in control when the dog lunged into my garden and caught my 5 year old cat. The cat had no chance and was dead within seconds. There were 8 witnesses to the incident.

I have had problems with the owner and his visitors goading the dog toward my and other local cats, it has also damaged a little Yorkshire terrier. Up to now we have not told the authorities hoping after a chat about muzzling / neutering etc the matter would sort itself out. It did not

The owner is an idiot, literally! He is barely literate. He is a drug user and has convictions for drugs, and drug related violence and thieving.

I think the dog is with an unsuitable keeper, and that is where the problem lies.

With a decent keeper the animal might be well behaved, but with this man it is a danger to anything smaller than itself. I am very angry about the untimely death of my cat.

BUT I am an animal lover. I don’t keep a dog and I have nothing against well behaved dogs. I have two small cats that live indoors and sun bathe in the yard.

What I am trying to find out is there a rescue centre that will accept this kind of dog in the UK?

I hope I can persuade the chap upstairs to surrender his dog to a sutable place.

I will even personally financially reimburse him any losses to see the end of this. I know dogs chase cats It’s instinct and don’t wish the animal any harm, but would like the situation to change, I understand if I contact the dog warden or Police the animal may well end up destroyed. Its not the dog that is at fault so would like a humane way out for all concerned.  

Thank you, Merry

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

You seem like a very caring person. Your concern for this unfortunate animal’s life does you credit. Sounds to me like this Lab-Mix is unstable to say the least. The thugs who have abused this poor dog, and ultimately cost took the life of your beloved pet, need to answer for their crimes. Sad as it is, maybe calling the proper authorities is the best thing to do. I don’t know much about Great Britain’s legal system as it pertains to animals, much less any local laws in your area. As painful as it is for me to say this, your local animal control professionals might be the best option.

merry
    Participant

Hello all and thanks for the replies/answers. 

I have had nothing but denial from my local chump, so have reluctantly called the ‘man’  I thought there was maybe a few UK users / owners on here. Seems if the poor animal is a pit cross, of any kind it is an illegal dog in UK. So the outcome is predictable. I also now understand the reluctance of any UK owners to speak up, Personaly I don’t see how the UK goverment can say all dogs of a particular breed are bad, but our goverment has some very strange ideas. Thanks again. Merry

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

It stinks that you had to be put in that position but I applaud you for taking steps to protect yourself as well as the neighborhood you live in.

It’s such a shame that your cat had to pay the price. I’d be pretty bent out of shape too.
    I don’t know what the laws are like in the UK but hopefully when they seize the dog, they’ll give the owner a new set of bracelets and a ride to the station.

I think you did the right thing.

RachelAltner
    Participant

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat.  This was a painful story to read, and I am saddened to hear about another dispicable, unresponsible owner that disregards the aggresiveness in their pets.

I do agree with “i luve my pitbull” in alerting the proper authorities.  You are not dealing with the average person who is ignorant about rehabilitating aggresive dogs, you are dealing with a harden drug dealer.  He needs to be accountable for not only what happend with your cat, but for other heinous acts as well.  

Maybe you can alert the authorities, but tell them that you want to try to get the dog rehabilitated and not put to sleep because of the irresponsible ownership of your neighbor.

Once again, I am so sorry for the loss of your cat.  I own one too and it breaks my heart to read a story like this.  But you are a very nice, warm-hearted person and I applaud your virtuosity.  I know most of us are in the States, but we are here to support you with any advice or questions that you might have.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.