Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

No Pit Yet, Just Gathering Information

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Human Talk Introductions No Pit Yet, Just Gathering Information

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Veggie
    Participant

Hi, we have one dog he’s a 7 year old Louisiana Leopard/ collie mix named Cody. I love him a lot. The neighbors down the hall have a pit mix he’s um…spirited but I really like him. We’re getting a second dog and our high-kill shelter at Animal Services is full primarily of pit bulls. It breaks my heart. People around here breed pit bulls like crazy and many of them end up with Animal Services. The humane society recently had a meeting to discuss what to do about the pit population and encourage owners to enroll in obedience lessons. I’m trying to gather all the information I can before I adopt a pit bull.

southern_pit79
    Participant

Research is very important and you are doing the right thing. My pit isnt the typical high energy pit. I would know my lifestyle and try to get a pit that matches it… if that information is available at this shelter. Luckily my shelter did have this information available they screen all dogs for their personality traits. My pit is great for me and my lifestyle. If you do decide to get a pit be prepared for a lot of love and a dog that will want to cuddle with you on the couch. I have learned that pits, at least mine, think they are lap dogs they love being with and even on their owner! As much as love as you give them the give you several times more. Mine lays her head on my lap, (see the pic in my avatar), and stares at me. I haven’t had her long but am already happy with my decision. Two really big tips that I cannot stress enough, they definiantely need exercise your dog will let you know how much it needs. Mine doesn’t need much but I push her a little, the more exercise she gets the happier she is, although she does look wore out! =) The other is get toys for pits. They are very very smart, (mine is) and they like their brains to be exercised as much as their bodies. They have powerful jaws and the toy has to be able to withstand it. As a new pit owner of a rescue myself I know right where you are and can tell you that you will be very satisfied if you get the right dog for you and follow through with the research and advise you get from other pit owners. Good luck I hope all goes well!!

Veggie
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. The shelter I want to adopt from doesn’t know the dogs temperaments very well, the only reason I picked them is because they are a high-kill shelter. The pits there right now have been there longer than the other dogs. Even dogs with problems tend to get adopted before the pits do unless they are puppies.(I have to say though, they have some good looking pits!)

I found some I want to commit to right now but unfortunately we have to move first our apartment complex has breed restrictions, the pit mix down the hall happens to look more like a terrier. (Our breed restrictions are really dumb, you can have German Shepard and Bulldogs, but not Rottweilers, Chow Chows or Pitbulls.)

southern_pit79
    Participant

I grew up with Chows, we had a lot of them over the years never more than 2 at a time. They are also supposed to be vicious dogs… but we never had an issue. I tell you I lucked out with Layla. She is so well behaved, so well mannered, so obedient, so docile, and so loving. She has a jumping issue with new people and she likes to flee people a bit too much but I will take that. =) Pits are very beautiful and I think you will do well in getting one, especially given the fact that you are saving a life. It’s a shame your shelter doesn’t test their personality, they would probably adopt more dogs if they did that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.