Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

News Topic close to home

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Current Events News Topic close to home

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

**below is a news story in a town near where I live. What I wonder is if the owner’s door was indeed unlocked, how would the dogs have gotten out? Have they learned to open the door? Or are they even pit bulls, or one of the commonly mistaken breeds? and from the charges against the owner, seems to me this is an irresponsible dog owner, period.**

A Mason City dog owner is facing several charges and 2 men are recovering from bite wounds after they are attacked by 2 pit bulls.

Police said it happened just after 4 Saturday afternoon at a home in the 300 block of 2nd street Southwest.

Officers said John Hanson went to visit his friend Nathan Dorsey who lives on the ground level of the house.

Police believe dog owner Paige Burgess, 22 of Mason City left her upstairs apartment door unlocked and the dogs got out.

Police said the pit bulls attacked Hanson; they also attacked Dorsey as he tried to help.

An officer fired a shot at one of the dogs when it approached him in an aggressive way.

The shot missed, but the animal retreated and officers were able to capture them.

They are currently being held in an animal shelter.

Police said Hanson required several stitches for wounds to his arms and legs.

Both men were treated and released from a Mason City hospital

Burgess is being cited for 2 counts of keeping a vicious animal, 2 counts of no rabies vaccination, 2 counts of no city dog license and 1 count of having a dog at large.

raisins mom
    Participant

Our shepherd can open our front door and security screen door because we have those long style handles you push down. He just paws them open and pushes or pulls the door. Unfortunately they are the kind tht are open in the house but locked on the outside. Sometimes he will walk up to the doors and let Raisin and himself out. Just last night I went chasing after them and shut door behind me locking all of us out (luckily I keep a spare).

So it could be possible the dogs open the door, or pushed it open if owner didn’t shut the door completely, or maybe someone open the door for unknown reasons (why someone would I don’t know, but strangers things have happened).

Either way its sad for the dogs, for the victims, and the owner. When we leave for work we put our dogs in their crates. I used to feel bad crating them but now I just tell them its for their own safety. I think the best thing we can do is continue being responsible owners. Getting our dogs out there and socializing them. Being a role model as not only a dog owner but a citizen in our communities. Most importantly learning from others mistakes so our pibbles can continue to have a good life.

rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve heard of dogs being able to open doors, esp. those with the handles that push down instead of twisting to open. All in all, was just a sad headliner, to see “pit bulls” once again in the news circuit. I do wonder what shelter these animals are being housed at, and what their “fate” will be. I really hate how animals have to suffer because their owners were irresponsible in the first place. It’s just a shame, an absolute shame. I’m just happy we’re doing what we can to be responsible pit owners.

raisins mom
    Participant

I am right there with you. The other night my partner took a 911 call for a Rottie that was running loose and bit someone in the thigh. I almost hoooped and hollared because it was a rottie and not a pitbull. How sad is that? And no that did not make the news, but atleast it proved not always the pibbles in trouble.

shadesofblue
    Participant

I think it’s sad when any dog makes the news in a situation like this, it’s always poor handling of the dogs. I’d have been pretty sad about the rottie too, I have a soft spot for Rotts, one of the best dogs I ever had recently passed away he was a rottwieler. I miss him dearly!

josh84
    Participant

lol most doors have to be pulled open or pushed open from the outside think about it i think they are crazy automatically blame a pit could have been a lab they do resimble

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.