Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Mosquitoes and dogs

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Health Mosquitoes and dogs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

Sometimes we leave our pit bull (O’Shea, year and a half) outside while we mow or do yard work, so that he gets his outdoor time (he stays in a kennel). But if he is out there too long, especially if mosquitoes are around, will get these little round raised spots of fur on his skin–pretty much like a mosquito bite on a human. He has them for a day, and then they go away.

And I don’t know if the mosquito bites have anything to do with it, but after being outside for any short period (half hour, hour, etc…), when he gets inside, he goes NUTS! Haha–running here and there, grabbing his squeaky toy–pretty much just wanting to play. But he’ll run full speed for at least 10 minutes, and then wears himself out–normal? 🙂

amberc922
    Participant

Rebecca,
    When I have Ace outside for awhile and he is playing in the grass and stuff he gets little red bumps on him too that go away by the next day. My vet said it is a skin allergy to the grass most likely and if he seems bothered by them give him some benadryal. As far as the crazy running when O’Shea comes inside I would say he is just happy and excited Ace will do the same thing some times. I will let him out to do that in the backyard with Kira (my other pit) and he won’t play at all then I let him in and he jumps on my bed and sticks his butt in the air shaking it like come on mom lets play and he’ll grab my arm and jump at me and take off tearing down my hallway wanting to play then all the sudden when i don’t play I will look and he’s laying in his bed in the living room almost alseep. I just laugh at him he is just a dork! It would say its normal its just his personality.

Amber

Paityn the Pittie
    Participant

for skin allergies i’ve used liquid aloe vera… i was recommended to use that and it has worked great for my pit! she gets all sorts of skin allergies and it has really soothed her skin because the excessive scratching has stopped. i got it at a health food store and i put a little bit of it in her water bowl.

laura
    Participant

copibia essential oil and do NOT use commerical soap products…find a natural shampoo/soap and also patchouli to it

to help dogs/pits be calm use Rescue Remedy 🙂

laura
    Participant

Oh, I also forgot…there are herbs that people use for allergies that you can give to your pitbull too 🙂

rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments! He hasn’t gotten any bumps on his skin since this time, and I think the only thing we’ve changed since then was a different shampoo, and his food. He’s now on something that has a little more oil in it, which I think has nourished his drier skin. He did have some sort of a reaction to something (not quite what sure) either in our house, outside, or to some allergen in the air–caused a reaction to his skin just under his chin–was all red, he’d scratch at it (but never when we were around)…took him to the vet, the vet gave him a shot that was supposed to eliminate the issue at hand, which it did. He hasn’t had any reaction since that time–hard to tell what that was all about. Just gotta keep an eye on our mischievious, precious pooch. 😛

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.