Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

LEASH PULLING AND BITING

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training LEASH PULLING AND BITING

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    torresrebe
    Participant

I have a gorgeous 4 month pit mix, Leila. She already knows sit (sometimes I don’t even have to say ‘sit/, just ‘wait’ by a cross walk and she either sits, or lies down-which she’s GREAT at). But I bought her a new lead to prevent her from pulling me forward and jumping at driving cars. She won’t pull forward anymore, now she’s decided it’s fun to stop and pull me back because she doesn’t want to walk. The BEST part is that she’s decided her leash (which hangs in front, or to the side, as this is the way the lead is designed) is the BEST chew toy in the world, and the BEST time to play with it is during our walks. This morning was the worst, we got two blocks away from the house and she went into one of her fits, and started nipping. Which wasn’t aggressive, but a nuisance. I had to stop the walk and bring her back home.

How can I stop her from doing her “protests” every time we walk?

ttessens
    Participant

I wish I had advice for you. But I’m going to be keeping an eye on this thread. My bull staff mix, Butch, is almost a year old and has just started doing this. It isn’t aggressive either, just a pain in the tush. He’s been leash trained for quite sometime, and he’s been in training since he was about 6 months old. We’re very active and take long walks everyday, play fetch, find it games, etc. So I don’t think I have a bored pitty baby on my hands, but one who cannot stand his leash as of late. I do know I’m aching to resolve the problem though. Good luck to both of us. =]

emackulate
    Participant

Same here. The only thing that gets her moving a few feet is when I have a treat in my hand, but then she stops. She’s not dumb haha.

Also, I don’t mean to intrude, but I really do need help with this and hopefully one of you can help me out. I’m new to the site and if this isn’t the correct place to ask, redirection would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

I recently took a 6 month old pitbull mix off of my friend’s hands. He found her on the street and she is just the sweetest thing ever. Honestly, I fell in love with her the second she jumped on my lap and kissed me. I’ve been noticing though that she gets very aggressive with my little shitzu when they’re playing. I understand cus he literally looks like a stuffed animal, BUT it’s a little bit too much. He chases her, she chases him, she puts her huge paws over him, and starts tugging on his ears. He whined earlier today thats how rough she’s getting. I started tugging down on her collar and saying “NO!” very sternly because that helped with her trash digging and shoe stealing. Honestly tell me–Is it too late to reverse this type of behavior? There will be a baby in the house soon and I don’t want to have to get rid of her. Could she already be an aggressive pit? I am willing to spend any amount of time with her. Any advice? 

Oh, and another thing, I did notice that when my friend gave her to me he was roughhousing and he hit her a few times…could that be it also?

Some one please help me. I really wanna help my Lola bear.

jesse2009
    Participant

I too just took in a pitty, he is older though. I have a youg female lab mix. they play together like that. Very hard play, lots of teeth. Lets face it, it is play and your little dog don’t have a prayer due to size. I keep a close eye on my dogs (have 3 now) when they play. one moment they play the next the might fight. my advise would be, let them play, when you see they are getting carried away seperate them right away. I could not tell you if you have a “bad” pitty, I don’t know enough about them, but I have expereince and common sence enough to know when it is getting to the point were one will get hurt, and you know its not going to the pitty.Did you take him to obidience training? Might be a good idea. good luck

jesse2009
    Participant

Have you ever watched  “its me or the dog”? It was addressed about these walks and how to deal with that. Try and look up the show online. They might have an advise column

kendseycollins
    Participant

Okay, so, with the leash biting/pulling, it’s a favorite pit thing. Kaos got into the same habit when the kids walked him.  I’ve had to work with both of the kids and Kaos to put a stop to it.  When Kaos tries to tug on the leash or gets too excited, I tell him no and choke up on the leash so he doesn’t have any to play with (I shorten the leash so I’m holding onto it just a few inches from his collar, with the rest gathered in my other hand.)  The important thing is not to stop and let them get away with it.  Keep walking and shorten up on the leash with a stern “NO!”  If the dog still tries to get a hold of the leash give a tug and a “NO,” then continue walking. Also, NEVER let you dog play tug-o-war with the leash!!! It’s not a toy and if you let them play with it they’ll think it’s okay to play this way on walks.  Verbally reward your dog when he or she walks quietly.  Also, just out of curiosity, does your dog behave this way without the harness?  To help your dog keep moving forward keep an upbeat pace and call to her to keep her interested. Treats are a good motivator.  As far as the pit and the shihzu, no, your dog’s not being agressive or bad, she’s just playing too rough.  Chances are her previous owner simply liked roughousing with her and she learned that rough play is ok.  If you consistantly discipline her as you have been and teach her that type of play is unacceptable in her new pack, she should calm down.  Kaos was the same when we brought another dog into our home.  Our new dog is 14 with arthritis and Kaos would jump on top of her.  It takes consistancy and patience, but it’s just a matter of convincing your girl that she is not to play so rough.  Other than that, respect the fact that there is a huge size difference and keep an eye on them when they play.  Good luck to all of us, indeed! 🙂

kendseycollins
    Participant

If you have baseball diamonds or tennis courts with gates in your community, they’re a FANTASTIC plase to let your dogs loose.  Sometimes the leash is just too much restraint and they want to run. Fenced in areas where you can let them run and play are great.  We take Kaos to the dog park sometimes, but can’t let him loose because he isn’t neutered.  Taking him to ball fields has been a beautiful substitute.  He gets to stretch and run, without worrying about other dogs or stupid people who cause problems just because he’s a pit.  Try letting him run loose a few times and see if he’s more willing to walk quietly on the leash for you.  He’s just like a teenager, feeling hemmed in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.