Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Hello I’m surprised new pitbull owner!

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Human Talk Introductions Hello I’m surprised new pitbull owner!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kate2121
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We just adopted a 6 month old pup from a family member.  When she brought our pretty little girl to visit our home to see if we were a match she told us the dog was a purebred American Bulldog.  A couple days later she told me when I requested the vet info to bring with us to her first visit, she said “I don’t want you to be surprised when the papers get there because she is a purebred American Pitbull Terrier and it says so on her papers, I hope you still love her the same”.  Surprise!  I am unsure why she lied-likely because of the stigma that goes along with pitbulls.  And yes of course we still love her!  We have only had her a week but she is such a love bug!  She wants to sit on and lick anyone and everyone.  She has had some basic training but is stubborn when it comes to me, I am looking for a basic class for her and I so I can build a better bond with her and also learn how to have her listen to me. 

She did not come with paper so there is a good chance (I have read) that she is a mix, which is ok with me, I wish I knew for sure but it really isn’t that important over all.  I have spent hours researching the breed and have found so much conflicting information on what to do and what to expect.  So I will continue to research, read and learn because I do not want this beautiful sweet girl to miss out on anything and to be raised to stay the same loving baby she is now.

Any advice is welcome!

Kate

Iluvabully82
    Participant

Hi Kate,

My name is Liz. My pit mix mollie is currently 9 months old. I’m new to these forums but it seems everyone posts and introduction and no one replies. Not a great way to start a dialog. It’s a shame the people you got your dog from couldn’t just be honest with you and tell you what your dog was. We aren’t really sure what our Mollie is, shes from a shelter, but people guess either pit bull or boxer. For all I know she’s both. I live in the suburbs of Chicago though and around here if it looks even remotely like a pit bull most people assume you have a pitbull.

I took Mollie to a basic training class at Petsmart. Our trainer was pretty good, though I’m sure that varies from place to place. I think training and socialization are the most important things for pit bulls but I’m finding it’s not the easiest thing to do. So many people are afraid that my dog will hurt theirs they don’t want to come near her. She is really just excited to play. That’s the biggest reason I joined these forums I’m hoping to find some people in my area to socialize my dog with.   

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.