Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Exercising an Injured Dog

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Health Exercising an Injured Dog

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Miss Mouse
    Participant

I know that pits are high energy dogs, but I’ve been having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to exercise Penny. I was hoping you guys would have a little advice! 🙂

I know that pits are high energy dogs, but I’ve been having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to exercise Penny. I was hoping you guys would have a little advice! 🙂

Penny has a broken rear leg. It was already healed over externally when the woman we adopted her from found her, and we’re raising money right now to get it fixed up as quickly as possible. In the meantime, I know she wants to play and be active, but she has a lot of trouble doing so.

She can only handle short walks before she slows way down, at which point I believe her muscles get tired because she starts to have visible trouble distributing her weight – limping a little harder on the three legs she uses and twisting her torso more to balance. This, or just before this, is the point the walk has to be over. As much as I want to build up her compensating muscles, I can’t stand to cause her unnecessary pain.

Unfortunately, she gets pretty restless indoors. To make up for it we take her on extra short walks, rather than a few long ones, but it’s somewhat difficult for all involved, and when she can’t run around she gets mischievous instead. She will play a little fetch indoors – throwing a toy across the room – but I’d like to entertain her brain and body a little bit more. She sits and lies around more than I would like to see out of a one year old dog.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to comfortably exercise her?

matt
    Participant

Does she have plenty of chew toys to keep her busy? I would suggest a kong that you can fill with a treat.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.