Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

dog is growling at baby help please

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training dog is growling at baby help please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tonyb79
    Participant

yea i had lost my dog after someone had stollen him almost 14 months ago at that time my wife was just having our daughter so aries never really got to meet her….well we found him about a month ago…was very excited and happy over having him back…he has been doing really good until last night the baby went into the laundry room and don’t know what happend but herd growling and crying rushed in took dog outside baby was fine just scared a little let him stay outside about 10 min….found out there was some food hid thought that was the problem…brought him back in…and he was laying down like he always does and the baby was playing behind the curtin and all of a suden he just lunged at her growling didn’t bite but scared us all  don’t know what to do help me please

darcydee54
    Participant

With your dog acting like that I would not leave him/her unattended with the baby. When he was lost on the streets he could have been abused by smaller children and have a fear of them, but to get him/her to stop make the baby a posotive thing everytime your pitbull sweetly sniffs or sits or does anything good to or around your baby treat your dog and lots of praise. If you do that for awhile the baby will be her/him best friend not ememy

darcydee54
    Participant

With your dog acting like that I would not leave him/her unattended with the baby. When he was lost on the streets he could have been abused by smaller children and have a fear of them, but to get him/her to stop make the baby a posotive thing everytime your pitbull sweetly sniffs or sits or does anything good to or around your baby treat your dog and lots of praise. If you do that for awhile the baby will be her/him best friend not ememy

tonyb79
    Participant

i don’t plan on leaving them alone any more….thank you for the help will try this he really is a good boy we just don’t know what all has happend to him after he was stolen i’m really hoping this will help cause i don’t want to loose my boy again….and other suggestions are also welcomed and thanked for in advance!

Juggalettewarrior
    Participant

sounds like your dog is taking the baby as a treat, you need to socialize the baby and the dog more, i understand the baby is still young but with the dog not being your only baby its getting jelous over who owns you lol. i would try findin time to sit down with dog and baby and make sure the dog is told thats your baby. Dont turn it into a game though, but keep a very close eye on both of them and the reactions of the dog, you can easily tell when a dog is being aggravated. Hope this helps you a little, my dog use to act like that with my nephew so i tried having him around more so i could socialize my dog with a baby.

geesspots
    Participant

you may want to try a technique called that I use my trainer told me it is called dominant massage.

you start by laying the dog down on its side and have it put its head down and then proceed to touch ( massage) it don’t allow the dog to get up untill you let it once the dog gets us to this try it with the child near by and then on your lap work up to having the child touch the dog as well.

I learned this as a child with our other dogs and when we got a pitty I did what i know works when we took him to dog classes the trainer asked us to practice dominant massage which is basically what i had been doing. now he will come over and lay down and wait. often my two daughters will join in now i see them climbing all over him or laying down without any concern.

hope this works or that someone else has a tip that helps

Linda Sue
    Participant

I have a pitt that will growel at the grandkids, well all but 1. And she will also get a stuffed animal and even ger agressive with me when iI try to take it away. Pepole are telling me to put her down, I cant do that, She is a great dog. She hasnt bitten any one but I dont want it to get that far. I just dont know what to do. She does this when ever she is in heat.  Some one please let me know what I can do…   Thank you.    Linda Sue

geesspots
    Participant

thisis just my opinion

But to start with don’t listen to the people who tell you to put the dog down.

start with the basics you need to tell the dog that you are in charge not it food is always a good way to start. We have a feeding ritual it starts with my space wich is the area near the dog food in our case behind the couch he is not alowed to come in my area- next i get the food and take it to his feeding area he then lays down and I place the food in front of him and then stand up and wait for him to acknowledge me by looking at me then i tell him to go ahead. somestimes I will have him stop eating part ways through.

as i mewntion in an earlier thread there are other things to we practice what i have been told is called dominant massage.

this is where I have the dog lay down feet away from me head down and I massage him from the tip of his nose to his feet.  This is something that i learned as a kid and have used on all my dogs.  when I took my dog to lessons the instructor talked about this technique. I include my children in exercise if the child is really young have it sit in your lap so the dog can get use to him/her.

If you don’t already do it you may want to think about crating/crate training your dog as well as your children. This can give your dog a place to go to feel safe you need to train the kids and other people that when the dog is in its crate it is to be left alone.

Now keep in mind that i don’t pretend to be a expert on pittys but from the stuff I have read they are exceptional pets because they tend not to be human aggresive I don’t fear for a second that griffin will bite my children.  all these things take time. as well dogs tend to be better behaved when they are tired.

linda sue you said that the dog growls at all but one of your grandkids try paying attention to what the one does that the dog doesnt growl at this may give you some insight into why it growls at the other ones

mollysowner84
    Participant

I would be very worried about leaving your dog around her AT ALL. If pits are not associated with children at a young age they can be dangerous. I chose to adopt a 6 month old pit that was raised around children, horses, cats, dogs, etc… and she just adores my 22 month old daughter. Like any dog that growls at children or even lunges at them I would be cautious, if it was me I’d have a hard time keeping the dog because I worry about my children’s safety. Maybe try some professional training? Either way just watch your baby that is the only way you can really ensure safety.

ashesmommie
    Participant

This would be very dangerous for him to do especially with dog that has lunged after the baby already.

ashesmommie
    Participant

Ok I understand we all love our dogs. But if you research Pit bulls. They are supposed to love kids and people and are supposed to be non aggressive towards them. Pit bulls who are lunging or growling at babies is something horrible waiting to happen and the dog should not be kept at all. NO dog of mine would be kept it in my house if I could not trust him with MY kids. That’s just setting up the dog for failure and giving the Pit bull more of a bad rap. If you’re dog is even growling at ppl at you’re house ur guest or loved one’s you have not established authority of him.

Fight4WhatsRight
    Participant

sounds like you need the dog whisperer!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.