Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Dog on dog agression

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Dog on dog agression

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    uglysteve
    Participant
    My wife and I just adopted a male Pit bull mix from animal control, he is about a year old. He was neutered the day we adopted him. He is still very puppy like, but he seems to be sexually mature.  We have another dog, a 4 year old neutered male Border collie mix. He was neutered as a puppy, and never started marking territory.  Does neutering stop the dog on dog aggression? The pit bull is friendly , but plays a bit rough. After we got him we read about there aggression against other dogs. My wife’s assumption was that he would not be aggressive if we treat him well. We would never forgive ourselves if we come home one day and the Border collie was killed by the Pit bull. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    kendseycollins
    Participant

I am by no means an expert and I’m absolutely interested to see what other people say.  However, I would say that neutering can help with male agression.  Unfortunatelly, I don’t think it’s as simple as all that.  The first worry about bringing a dog into a home with another dog is how they get along in general. It sounds as if your dogs are okay, even if one is a little more rambunctious than the other.  Secondly, when dogs, or any animal, for that matter, is brought into the “fold” a pecking order will be established.  If you are a firm “pack leader” and neither of your dogs are trying to become alpha male, then the chances for agression is decreased farther.  I would advise caution though, becuase, as the previous owner of border collies, I know there is quite a size difference in the two breeds and your pit could injure you BC without intending to, just by playing too rough. Besides, an argument over a favorite toy, or the best spot to sleep, could happen at any time (just like with siblings.)  If I were the owner of two dogs I would take the precaution of keeping them apart when you are not home.  This isn’t a pitbull specific precaution, just responsible dog ownership.  As far as your wifes beliefes, she is right, but it’s not just about loving them, you have to socialize both dogs well and help them build a healthy, brother-like relationship with each other and a child-parent relationship with you (you being the parent.)  Again, this isn’t a pit thing, it’s a dog thing.  My advice would just be to think logically about the situation and to keep a close eye on the dogs.

uglysteve
    Participant

Thank you for the advice.

Steve

kendseycollins
    Participant

You’re very welcome!  I love Pits and Border Collies.  I’ve had 2 BC’s, named Trace and Sky.  They were FANTASTIC dogs.  I’ve also had a lab and a golden retriever.  I do have to say that I am partial to the pits, but a good dog is a good dog (just be careful, because once you’ve had a pit, you’ll be hooked for life!)  I wish you luck for many happy years with your new family member.

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

Herman is neutered, but still has some fear-based dog aggresion issues. The foster he came from had another dog, and Herman got along just fine with the dog. I don’t know your dogs, but if they get along, maybe it’s just fine. 

raisins mom
    Participant

I have an intact male German Shepherd who will be 2 next month and Raisin who is approx 14 months and is neutered.  They both seem to get along well although at times Jerry (GSD) can be ball aggressive.  Jerry will growl if Raisin gets near his ball while playing fetch so we just don’t throw the ball when the two are together.  My suggestion if you think your two dogs are starting to play a lil rough is to seperate them, let them calm down then allow them to play again.  I do that often with our two boys just to remind them to “take it down a notch”.

Like Herman’s owner we too are working through some fear issues with Raisin.   He doesn’t like men and when greeting new dogs he tends to overwhelm them.

We crate them when we are not home to prevent any scuffles. Also we have a “pecking order” for lack of better word in our home.  Anytime we are doing something with the dogs such as feeding them the GSD is served first.  But both dogs have been taught food manners.  Neither gets their food until we set it down and say ok and at anytime we can take the food away without fear of being bitten. 

I am far from a dog expert.  My dogs past and present have probably taught me more then I could teach them.  What I have learned is when your dog has boundaries and manners your home will be more harmonious. 

uglysteve
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. Things seem to be working out OK for now. The pit mix seems to be a good dog.
    Steve

ashesmommie
    Participant

Pit bulls are genetically Dog aggressive. Neutering will not cure this especially in a Pit bull. I’ve had Pit bulls who are ok with other dogs like the one I have now but dog aggression can come up at any point. I had one that was very DA and even though we treated her well that is not something that will cure it. If you’re afraid for your other dog and wouldn’t want to chance it I’d recommend crating or keeping them away from one another when you’re gone. Because with two males you never know 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.