Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Chewing Toys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    shynmiah
    Participant

My 5 year old pit loves to chew on toys so they don’t last very long. Has anyone found a great chew toy they would recommend that won’t go to pieces after one session of chewing. He does love his rawhide bones but needs something that won’t disapear or break easily.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shyla

My 5 year old pit loves to chew on toys so they don’t last very long. Has anyone found a great chew toy they would recommend that won’t go to pieces after one session of chewing. He does love his rawhide bones but needs something that won’t disapear or break easily.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shyla

Kotas Mommy
    Participant

I can only give Dakota KONG toys now. Everything else gets destroyed within 5 minutes! She LOVES the Kong Wubba and their squeeky toys (tennis ball material). I would recommend the black Kong toys over the red/puppy – the black are “supposed” to be indestructable…. they usually last awhile with Dakota – a few weeks anyways!
    Also, (I don’t) but Petsmart says if you keep your receipt and the dog destroys a KONG – you can return/exchange it.

matt
    Participant

Always go with KONG when all else fails.

GypsyRose
    Participant

I have made the mistake of buying this dog plush squeaky toy at walmart, destroyed by my nine month old pitt in one day. i now give him the rawhide bones mostly which will last maybe a week. he also has this toy, not sure who makes it, but its excellent. it is a thick rope inside a cylindar type hard ribbed chewy thing. it has dfferent textures and seems indistructable. he doesnt play with it much, but will when he gets bored. he loves plush stuffed toys with a squeaker in them but i really cant buy that for him because they do not last. i am going to look into the kong. thanks!

Dismiss
    Participant

I asked the sales associate at Petsmart, they handed me the tough dog nylabone, lol it lasted less than five minutes with the pit and the rottie. I had to laugh as they both were spread out besided each other tearing these bones apart. Such devil dogs, lol.

matt
    Participant

The original nylabones, which feel almost hard as a rock, are actually pretty good. They’ll last a few weeks with my pit, and he goes to town on them.

Did he give you one of the softer ones?

johnnboy415
    Participant

The only thing that has really lasted for Kai is the Galileo chew toy by nylabone. Everything else lasts about 5 mintues until it’s pulverized into little peices! =)

Here’s a link to a picture of it:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/giant/504834.jpg

You can buy them at any chain pet store or even the small ones carry them as well. May be a bit pricey, but well worth the money.

BrusMom
    Participant

Try coconuts!! They last longer then any bone or toy I’ve ever tried and they are cheap. Brutus just loves them.

Amy and K-Ro
    Participant

i gave up on buying new toys, now k-ro get old clothes tied in knots, jeans work best and socks are plentiful. if your pup shreds stuff it will definitely make a mess though.

Taana
    Participant

I was going through toys by the minute with Beastley. “The Almost Indestructable Ball” was worth the $12.00 I paid for it. You can get it online at PetSmart.com (I couldn’t find it at the local store). It comes in 2 sizes and you can put water in it to make it more of a challenge. Beastley plays with it for hours and as of yet hasn’t figured out how to destroy it. The hardest part is getting it away from him to rest.

BrooklynGirl
    Participant

The best thing I have found for my pits is the deer antler! You can buy them in bulk at feed stores, online (although they only sell individual and are expensive). One of the companies I buy from is the Montana Antler Co. and they are online and will sell in bulk. It takes weeks for them to chew them down, they don’t fight over them, they don’t smell, aren’t greasy and don’t splinter like bones. The best thing is that they are shed naturally by the deer. They come in all different shapes and sizes and there is no rhyme or reason for which ones my pits pick out! LOL! Best investment ever for those with extreme chewers!

elizburchell
    Participant

So far the only toys that last more than a day at my house are the Kogs. Although, she can tear them into pieces whenever she wants. She just seems to really like the Kong so she keeps it around for awhile! lol Our other pit, who is only a year old, seems to like the soft fabric type toys instead of the tough plastic kongs, so we tried the Kong wubba and he LOVED it, but they are not as durable and he was able to break the ball out.

I am also in search of the most durable toy out there!!! Any ideas would be wonderful!

beautyl
    Participant

I have heard about the deer antlers. I HAVE to try those! My pits LOVE the solid bones I buy @ PetsMart. I don’t get the ones with fillers….too messy. They last FOREVER! I have EXTREME chewers…and these are the only chews/bones/toys that have satisfied their need to chew and they are only about 4$. They are sold individually….but WELL WORTH IT!

baby z_s mom
    Participant

My pup is a huge chewer! She’s so methodical in her destruction that she’ll chew the black kongs into tiny pieces. I typically only buy her nylabones and kongs. But I had someone at a small privately owned pet store tell me about GoughNuts. They are a tougher rubber than kongs, and guaranteed by the manufacturer! So far she hasn’t made a dent in her goughnut (it’s been 3 months!) and LOVES it more than any other toy! They are a little pricey in comparison to kongs at Petsmart or Petco etc, but once you break through the first layer of rubber, you only pay for the shipping back to the manufacturer to have it replaced for a BRAND NEW toy. By far the best toy investment for anyone with a Pit!

http://www.goughnuts.com/

Amills78
    Participant

Yes, bones only.. And not the ones that are soft or where the bone chips easily. The HARD bones! That is all I have found indestructible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.