Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

agressive play?

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training agressive play?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    adpit
    Keymaster

I own a beautiful 9 month old, 65 pound pit bull. I rescued him when he was 4 month old and he lives with me and my children and grand children. We sociallized him immeduiately with children and other dogs and he does very well with them.

A couple of months ago he developed a new trait when at home, that I am unsure of how to deal with. Usually in the evenings he will walk up to family members myself included, and begin to snarl and bark and poke with his nose into you. If you pull back or raise your hands to stop him he begins to nip and jump back and forth. If you stand the barking gets louder. If you order him to stop he runs back and forth across the room, and begins all over.

One way to stop him is to grab his harness and turn him backward into your body. The other is to ask him where his toys are. He will then go look for a toy and push it into you wanting you to tug on it. He never relinquishes the toy but wants you to continually pull at it as he pulls back.

Recently I have been having him retrieve the ball and release it when I give him a food nugget. He seems to like that routine but  every so often returns to his aggressive behaviour.

We are not afraid to handle the dog and can control him, and I think this may be play but is something else going on?

Any insights?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.