Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Aggression with certain people

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Aggression with certain people

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dpk2313
    Participant

My pup is starting to devlope aggression with certain people, he id 10.5 month now and he is begining to growl at people. He will usually get nervous when near new people outside the house/yard. I recently took him to the pet store and he growled at 2 people, how can I correct this behavior.

Stix
    Participant

Try to get the dog out more these dogs need good socialization skills.Dog training is a good idea also so they get used to other dogs and people they also need a lot of exercise if they are not trained properly they will own you.The growling was just the dog showing he was scared probably or possibly approached in the wrong way.Always remember most people think the pitbull is the man/dog killer and they will never know they are the sloppy face lickers loving and dedicated dogs unless trained otherwise.This is my 1st. one also and they are great dogs they just need training in short bursts 10-15 minutes. 

mortabutt
    Participant

.I have a 3 year old female pit who shows aggression towards certain people in certain situations. I have not been able to break her of it because she believes she is protecting me. Pits tend to be more territorial than other breeds, especially when it comes to their humans, of whom they are extremely protective. If the people your pitty meets are afraid, your dog will interpret that as aggression and become protective. Have him wear a muzzle to safe guard both the people you encounter and your dog. Whatever you do, DO NOT STOP socializing  your dog. Also, your own fear will increase his aggression. Try to remain calm while chastising his bad behavior (no physical discipline in public ever) to maintain that you are the alpha and not your dog. I stoop to her face, put my finger on her muzzle, and firmly say no. Sometimes I have to hold her muzzle to face me. She always kisses me in apology and behaves immediately. Pitties live to please their humans, like most dogs, so your quiet but firm disapproval is generally all she needs. Good luck, it has been a learning process for both me and my beautiful big girl!

wtddaalw
    Participant

Socialize him as much as possable but slowly… I have a female who is about 9 mons and we are now working with a group at our local PET CO which is geared towards getting them used to people. Sophie is now my 4th Pit and it seems that females tend to be more protective when they are younger and males as they get older but the sooner you socialize them the better and faster you will have results

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.