Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Walking/Running

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Walking/Running

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    VicFaye
    Participant

When we got our puppy I planned on him being my running buddy. I knew I wanted a rescue dog, but didn’t care what breed as long as it was a big dog with enough energy for five mile runs. I didn’t even know I had a pitt bull until everyone told me that he looked just like one when I brought him home.

He’s know about 16 weeks and I cannot for the life of me get him focused enough to run. He loves to sniff and pull in different directions, and the most irritating thing is that he switches between my left and right sides almost tripping me. He definitely has the energy to run and needs to burn it off, but this is just not working. It’s the same situation on walks.

Any advice?

mortabutt
    Participant

He is a pit bull puppy and full of curiosity and energy. Have you tried walking him without running? That will teach him proper walking etiquette without the stress of running him. Keep him cinched to your side and use a gentle walker to lead him. A gentle walker allows you to control your dog by pulling him where you want him without actually hurting him. Teach him where you want him and take treats to give him when he behaves well. You have to be the alpha in all situations with a pit, he is a baby now, but he will be a very strong dog when an adult. Once he is acclimated to walking how you want, basically by your side, but a little bit behind you, you can begin running with him. This can be done quite quickly, but the longer you wait, the the longer it will take (experienced in this mistake). My pitty is 3, and because my son did not teach her proper walking etiquette right away, it took a very long time to teach her properly. She is still too exuberant in the early part of our walks, but calms down within a few yards (thank God!). My daughter takes her for runs now and they are fine!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.