Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Very Timid

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Miyo
    Participant

Good Morning,

Good Morning,
    I have a question. My boyfriend and I purchased an eleven week old pit yesterday (8-26-10). Capone is very timid and seems to be afraid to be outside. Once he hits the concrete it’s like a deer in headlights (he’s frozen). I’ve had to carry him from the car inside petsmart, our apts, etc. My question is how can I effectively house train him if he doesn’t move when he outside?

sam2171
    Participant

Entice him with treats all dogs love some kind of treat

Armywife_Barrett
    Participant

Basically something has programmed him to think that pavement is dangerous and scary. You need to reverse that thinking.

Do NOT pick him up anymore and do NOT coo and feel bad for him when he freezes. In a dog’s mind this means he has a reason to be afraid. You’re actually encouraging his behavior and fear.

Build his confidence. Put him on the pavement and squat down a few feet away. If he comes to you pet him and say good boy. Give him a treat. Then move and repeat. He will learn that he is safe on the pavement. Don’t let him climb into your lap and hide. If he does this, stand up and set him back on the ground. Dogs pick up on their owner’s feelings, so be confident and he will be confident.

Also, try treat trails. One of you hold his leash and the other walk away and leave a treat trail to the yard you want to him to walk to. Then let him lead himself along the trail.

Let me know if these work. If not I will try to think of other ways to help. It’s hard to give a good plan without seeing the dog first hand, but at least this gives you a place to start. Have patience. Good luck.

Becky Barrett

houch105
    Participant

bailey was the same when we first got her as soon as i took her out side she would just hit the deck and wouldn’t move ,all i did was sit on the floor with treats until she would walk on the path ,then would place treats around the garden on different surfaces this worked after about a week .

katie loves bronco
    Participant

I have the opposite problem. My Bronco is use to being outside and gets really scared when he is in the house. How would I build my dogs confidence inside. He is very timid around people too. Would i take him over to that person and sit him there and show him that the person is ok?? I really need some help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.