Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Unfair Prejudice Against Pitbulls Exists in all Shelters

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Unfair Prejudice Against Pitbulls Exists in all Shelters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    adpit
    Keymaster

My wife and I searched our local shelters for the past three months looking for the right addition to our family. We finally found a real cutie on petfinder listed as a terrier mix. The next day, we visited the shelter to meet the dog. The volunteer said that we must view the dog on a separate room since she’s a pit mix. As soon as he brought the dog in, we knew that we had at last found our new family member. Cotton is a two year old pit bull terrier. She is amazing in every way. Back to the point. The volunteer told us that Cotton had been at the shelter for almost 5 mos, after being rescued from a kill shelter down south. He then went on to tell us that pit bulls are aggressive and dangerous dogs and people on this area don’t typically seek them out. After completing the paperwork and “donating” we had to meet with the vet who told us that our new friend is not good with other animals and overly aggressive with all dogs. It’s now been four days, Cotton and our seven month old blue heeler are the best of friends. Cotton is in no way aggressive nor has she as much as barked at our puppy or us. She is the most gentle, playful dog that I’ve ever had. She loves to run, play, cuddle and be loved. I don’t understand why the shelter gave us so many warnings about her. It breaks my heart when I think about how we almost didn’t adopt her based on what they were telling us.

bumblebee
    Participant

That is a shame. It just shows that pit bulls have a long road ahead of them to get their old nanny dog status back. 🙁

Of course, to play devil’s advocate they might have had a bad experience with another pit mix adoption, and were just trying to cover their butts, but still, shame on them!

3-dog Mom
    Participant

Most shelters are just businesses (even if they’re ‘nonprofit’) that are concerned with the costs of liability. I’ve seen them go overboard on this with other breeds as well. A dog who jumps up on a child is suddenly considered “not suitable for families with children.” There are a few shelters that do a great job, but they are few and far between.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.