Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

UGH pit bull in the news, community comments

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion UGH pit bull in the news, community comments

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    southern_pit79
    Participant

My local NBC station has had a few stories recently about pit bull attacks. One of a woman that was laying on a bed and will now need 185 stitches to her face. Another of a small dog that was bitten by a different pit that was not leashed and so on. The comments are typical. This vicious breed should be destroyed. People that own them are stupid. My personal fav, I hate this breed and the people that own them. I started to comment that other breeds bite people and dogs and that the media doesn’t cover it. Then I thought when people are filled with hate and ignorance you cant really use any logic with them. They don’t want to hear what you have to say and what to hold on to their sad beliefs no matter what you bring to them. I decided not to comment. Part of me wants to, but the other part of me doesn’t like beating my head against a brick wall. So I will just make Layla the best dog on the planet and let her be the loud voice.

TheIrishBAMF
    Participant

I will go ahead and say that I am a new owner of a 6 month old pit (rescue) and I couldn’t be happier with my choice. I read about them extensively and tried my best to filter through the absolute garbage that seems to be the accepted norm about APBTs. From what I gather, all the statistics are so biased it’s not even remotely scientifically reliable. For one there are far too many variables in play such as how they were raised and what the quality of the owners, not just the current owner, has been for a particular animal. When you consider how many are in fact from bad backgrounds, and how many are from hell-like homes of “thugs and gangsters” as it seems most owners of the breed are (sarcasm there) you cannot rely on ratios of dog ownership percentages in relation to attacks. I’m not trying to defend something that isn’t true, I’m saying scientifically these statistics are a complete sham. Think of dog psychology, the alpha runs things, as an owner, you are responsible for being the dog understanding you are the alpha. This is the case with any and all breeds of dogs. The unfortunate truth is this, little dogs are viewed as cute and adorable when they jump on furniture without asking or climb into your lap without invitation, or bark at newcomers relentlessly. Should they bite, the fact that it doesn’t hurt makes it acceptable and laugh worthy. Let’s let the same scenarios go through using a pitbull or any number of large dogs or “aggressive” breeds. one bite, and they are off to the big yard in the sky. This is utter bullcrap. the pathetic thing is no one seems to understand this and they end up treating dogs as humans and applying human characteristics to dogs. Do you walk your toddler on a leash and have it go outside to relieve itself? Unless you are a terrible parent, you do not, so why would you treat a dog like a child, it just isn’t the way their brains have been designed to work. You need to understand the instinctual inner workings of the canine brain before you can start rumor mongering about agression in dogs and start educating yourself on important training techniques.

I apologize if that was rather ranty, but I’ve seen too much misinformation, distorted facts, and facetious statistics out there recently in my gathering of quality information to not pass by this thread without getting a little peeved at the garbage the poster brought to light. By that I mean the poster is a smart person and the article is garbage, just so there is no confusion.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.