Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Two Female Pits

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Skully
    Participant

Hi, I am new to the board so I apologize if my post is repetitive. I have a 1 year old female pit bull that we rescued her when she was 2.5 months and she is an amazing dog. We have been talking about getting another dog and think we found the perfect one. She is a very well trained, but abused 3 year old rescue that my aunt fosters. The dogs have interacted on numerous occasions in my aunts house and my parents house and love to play. My Aunt had to return to London so the dog had to go back to the shelter, which breaks my heart. If we get her we plan on introducing them slowly and properly and getting both of them in training together. My only concern, and I have talked to numerous people who own Pits and gotten two different answers, is that two female pit bulls not being ideal because of dominance issues popping up. While I realize this could be an issue I think that it isn’t something that proper training can not take care of. That being said my question to all you Pit Bull lovers out there is what are your thoughts?

ash_page
    Participant

I love pit bulls and Ive been around both loving and aggressive pits. So I think it really depends on both of the dogs. In my personal opinion I have always felt that a female pit can be a little more temperamental then male pits. Put it this way me and my brother used to live together and he had a female pit named Ayla. Ayla was raised from a puppy and was sweeter than sugar(Her boyfriend was my Chihuahua) then I rescued a 8 week old female pit. After nursing the pup back to health I began to let her socialize with Ayla. One day I came back from the store and when I was unlocking my door I could hear the sounds of a fight. I walked in to find my pup pinned to the wall by Ayla. When we separated the dogs there was blood every where and Ayla had not only crushed my pups ribs but also separated the spinal cord from her spine. It was a sight I will never forget, so I don’t want that to happen to you. I’m not trying to discourage you but you need to think of them like pairing up human roommates. Are both dogs dominant? If one dog was to get aggressive would the other surrender? Are they too much alike or too different? Just think it through carefully.

ericas918
    Participant

I have two female pitties that are both rescues. I was worried about getting a second female dog, regardless of it being a pit or not, for the same reason. Our girl Rose was an only dog in the house for about 2 years and she had made the space hers already. Knowing from experience that, having two females or even two males in a house you are going to have dominance issues regardless of the breed. Its a natural thing that is going to occur. Heck, it even happens with people! You just need to be patient, allow them to become adjusted to living together at their own pace. But be aware of their body language at all times. Spend as much time with each dog one on one in different situations so that you can completely understand each dogs body language. Our girls did get into their scuffs but no one was really hurt and it was mainly them working out who the boss was going to be. They’re still working it out and its been 9months. So expect and be prepared for some arguments between the two. My suggestion to you, is to not feed them out of the same bowl (even water), do not leave them alone together until they are fully comfortable with each other, give treats and toys seperately until you are certain that there is no food or toy aggression. Just let them take their time. Be patient and have fun!! But also remember…you’re the ultimate boss!!! Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.