Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Training Help & Information To Start My 4 Week Old Pit Puppy In the right Direction.

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Training Help & Information To Start My 4 Week Old Pit Puppy In the right Direction.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ANoel87
    Participant

I would like all the information and advice possible on starting my dogs training. He’s only 4 weeks old and as I understand him being so young away from his mother can cause some training aggression issues down the road. I’m going to be enrolling him in petsmarts puppy classes and follow up with the subsequent two courses for older dogs. I also want to start him in weight pulling when hes the appropriate age as a sport for exercise for him and something fun to do with my dogs for me. I’m a first time pit owner and want to train Tyson right so that he is a model pit citizen ! Any information, Advice is greatly appreciated.

Zr
    Participant

There’s really not a whole lot of training to do at that age. I’d advise against taking him anywhere without his shots, which I don’t think he can get until closer to six weeks. Once he has his shots, socialize him very well with people and other dogs. Keep his experiences positive; make sure you know the people and animals he’s meeting.

ANoel87
    Participant

He will most likely end up on the banfield wellness plan as the puppy plan is reasonable and includes his neuter then after the first year switch him to our regular vet. At this time he’s unvaccinated because 6 weeks is the soonest any vet in our area will vaccinate him but stays indoors 95% of the time occasionally we take him in our backyard to get him used to grass and get him used to using potty outside ( We use puppy pads inside.) Is letting them in your bed really so bad ? I let Ozzy sleep with me and Tyson is also sleeping in my bed at night …

matt
    Participant

Puppies will start responding to operant conditioning almost immediately, but it is probably best to wait until they are at least 8 weeks or more.

Zr
    Participant

It sounds like you’re doing everything right so far 🙂
    I’ve never understood the whole no bed thing, tbh. Dandi sleeps with my mum; the only reason she doesn’t crash on my bed every night is that my room is cat territory and my cat is extremely territorial of the bed. Dandi learned pretty early that going near the bed will get claws in her face. Poor dog.
    Though I do think it’s important to get him used to being alone and get him used to a crate. Even if you don’t plan on using a crate in the future, it will be extremely useful if you ever need to board him or if he’s ever at the vet for prolonged time to get him used to the small space.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.