Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Terrified!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    southern_pit79
    Participant

Last night it rained, not stormed, rained at my house. Not a down pour either. Layla was completely terrified. When we were on the couch she was on  me shaking like crazy crying and panting. The lightning that was few and far between and not that bright freaked her out. The far away and quiet thunder was too much for her. She shook like a chiwawa, panted so hard and it felt like her heart was going to beat out of her chest. I thought she was going to vomit for a little while, thats how upset she was. No amount of petting or talking to her nice would help. When I got off the couch she had her head on my knee as I walked with her tail curled tightly between her legs. Then when I went to bed she literally jumped in the bed with me. I normally don’t allow her on the bed but I couldn’t tell her no she was SO scared! She shook and shook and shook for the longest time. I didn’t get much sleep. This morning I got up she was her normal self. It concerns me though because that was a light weight compared to what we get in fl. Come summer we will have horrible storms almost every day, many of them while I am at work. I don’t know what to do for her to ease this fear. There was nothing that would soothe her. I tried wrapping her in a blanket, giving her a treat, petting her, holding her, distracting her, turning the tv up so she couldn’t hear the rain… nothing would help. Shes fine now but I know what will happen in the summer….

kendseycollins
    Participant

My parents had a dog like that.  She would hide under the kitchen table and shake everytime there was lightning.  Oddly enough, she did the same thing with camera flashes.  I’m not sure if there’s tons you can do about it, but I would say that as she becomes more confident in you and in her surrounding and gets used to the rain she’ll relax a little.  Maybe just giving her a safe cave to hide in during the rain when you’re not there will help her feel less exposed.

ashesmommie
    Participant

one of my dogs had that problem. The one’s I have now doesn’t phase them at all 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.