Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

some people irritate me! :(

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion some people irritate me! :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    screamin86
    Participant

Some people make me so mad when they talk about pit bulls. A guy at work that is a shepard/wolf mix owner always talks about how pitbulls are so stupid and that he saw a 4month old pup at petsmart that got up and ran into a wall. Well hello! Its a pup and if it doesn’t know its surondings it can happen. Then the comment how they are the worst dogs for turning on humans. :/ sorry I just get so worked up over that crap. 🙁

melissa_9485
    Participant

I hear you and completely agree. When my coworkers found out I was getting a Pitbull some were not so excited for me. It seemed like they were trying to talk me out of it. About a week after we got our puppy one coworker started giving me stories from her EMT friend about one eating a baby in our town and all of these horrible stories from attacks. I finally just walked away because I was so sick of hearing all of this. My dog is very loving, she hasn’t met a person she doesn’t like yet and we continue to introduce her to new people. She is also very well socialized with other dogs and plays very well. Because she isn’t a lab, this lady has to talk crap…even though at the shelter there was a lab that would have torn us apart if that cage wasn’t there.

I’m a groomer, and I take Lillie to work with me a lot, most of the customers have known her since she was 3 mos. old, but we still have some that fear for their little dogs’ safety when shes up in the front office. When we go to the park we get it more than anywhere, though, but some ppl are ignorant, and some just plain don’t know the breed. In the case of the ignorant ppl, I just shake my head and walk away..and the kicker is that their dogs are normally the aggressive ones..who knew..I just go home and let my pit and my stepson, stepdaughter and three cats lay on the floor and play, and laugh at the assumption that my pit even has a mean bone in her body :).

screamin86
    Participant

Yeah I have a 2year old daughter that absolutely loves kami and my wife does too but my mother inlaw always says crap too. It just makes me so mad. I went out today and let kami(my pit) and my daughter play in the yard together the only thing I have to watch for is kami knocking my daughter down lol.

joneskj
    Participant

i love when ppl try to say that small dogs aren’t safe around pitbulls cus then i just whip out my picture of my Pit Nina (65 lbs) and my Toy Chihuahua Sophie (4 lbs) cuddling up on the couch together or playing outside and it usually shuts them up…

aschlauf
    Participant

Yea!!!
    My 4 month old pit was bit hard enough on the nose by a Yorkshire to cause a bruise and my dog rolled to his side to say “I give up”. We actually took our pit outside to meet the yorkie because they are neighbors and we want to socialize him. The neighbor blew it off but if our pup had done that we would be in trouble. It really bothers me!!!

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

Melissa,

I got the same thing at work this week. We just adopted a Pit that I’ve been walking at the shelter for MONTHS.

Most coworkers have been really supportive as they’ve seen pictures and some have seen us interact.

A couple however just shake their heads.

I feel sorry for them because they believe the hype. Sadly before I met vanilla, I was the same way. She’s really opened my eyes and I’m glad she’s now ours and out of the shelter!

VickieMiller24
    Participant

I have dealt with the same thing. This man at work didn’t know I had 2 pit bulls and a comment was made about the dog in general and he said you should line them all up he had a bullet for the each pit bull. Well me and the other customer kept talking and she made the comment that she had heard pits were very loyal to their owner. Well, I then told her how much I loved mine. And how everyone gave me such a hard time b/c of me getting them. Sad part is mine are so lovable and behaved and thier dogs are the biters. Sad. Uneducated people w/o the correct info make fools out of theirselves. Can you imagine this customers surprise and his mouthful of feet when he heard I raised pit bulls and rescue one who they had kille dhis sister by pouring hot oil on her and one came in b/c they had cut its ears w/ a pair of sissors. Whos the one who needs to be lined up????

kycritter
    Participant

Pits are very smart, My 15 week old pup is smart she knows what door she is allowed to go out of. She knows  all of her comands,it’s the dumb people who are not smart enough to have a pit.

ttessens
    Participant

You and I both. I’ll share an experience that happened today, and I may ramble slightly. For that I do apologize.

Today, my son, a friend of mine, myself, and our dog Butch, were at the pet store. He’s only 7 and half months, and the pet store is one of his favorite places to visit. Not only that, but it’s a wonderful oppurtunity for socialization, he is introduced to different dogs, people, surroundings, distractions etc. He always does wonderful. He’s also in puppy training classes, along with our frequent outtings. Well, today our pet store visit was a little different, we had a run in with a rather large, aggressive dog. The dog’s owner, did not seem concerned with their animals behaviors; raised fur, pinned back ears, growling, dominant tail, stiff body, and exposed teeth. All of which he was doing towards my dog, Butch; who did not react, even when the dog lunged at him. Nonetheless, I had a tight grip on Butch’s collar, he was sitting and staying at my side. Still, I didn’t want my dog to reach to this other dog’s obvious challenge, as I went to remove my dog and myself away from this situation a sales woman and a trainer approached the other dog owner. They did their best to explain that the dog was exhibiting aggressive behaviors, and that these behaviors should be addressed, and not taken lightly; explaining that many dogs will react when challenged, and a dog fight could occur. The other dog owner of course brushed it off, but still replied that her dog is ‘unconrollable.’ I’m sorry, but if an owner feels their dog is uncontrollable and they cannot control their dog, the dog should not be in the pet store, and I would assume a responsible pet owner would take their dog to a trainer that specializes in such behaviors. If that was my dog, I would want to correct the behaviors, I’d want to understand what is triggering this behavior, fear, dominance, etc.This owner didn’t seem to care, and that alone was frustrating. I’m sure I was not the only one frustrated. This dog was also reacting in similar ways to a few other animals.

After the first occurance, we stayed clear of that other dog. Butch and I practiced heeling, sit, down, stay, etc. I thought it was a perfect oppurtunity with all of the distractions around him. He was doing great, and as we went to pay for a few things and we made our way to the check out line, that aggressive dog was again directly next to us, in the aisle on the opposite side. I again had Butch sit at my side, while gripping his collar, staying calm, while we waited for the other dog to pass. I was amazed that the dog’s owner still did not react. Again, the other dog was displaying the same body language, along with the exposed teeth and growling, the dog was also barking. This behavior was not only aimed towards other dogs, but I also made note that the dog was doing this to smaller children in the pet store. That was even more alarming to me, not only did I have my son with me, but there were more than a handful of kids in the store. It was scary to think that this owner had no desire to correct the behavior, or better yet, remove themselves from the pet store.Still, Butch, did not react to the other dog.

In the process of this situation there were two women, they couldn’t have been any older than what I am, had passed by us. Each woman felt the need to point at my dog. My dog was obviously well behaved and obedient, they expressed their feelings on how vicious my dog is, that he was ‘scary’ and had no buisness being in the pet store. They could not believe that I had enough guts, balls, and courage to bring my Pit Bull around other dogs and children. Urgh. My dog has the same right to be there, as any other dog does. I wonder what they would have thought if they knew that my SBT is a 5 year old’s best friend, and even minds him to a T? Needless to say, they rambled off a bunch of uneducated ‘so called Pit Bull information.’ They heard it from the media, so it must be fact, right? At least that’s what i was able to gather before they trailed off. Whatever. 

Ultimately, they choose not to pay any attention to the other dog that was misbehaving and showing aggressive signs, along with ignoring the irresponsible pet owner that was allowing their dogs behavior to continue. To them, my dog is a Pit Bull breed dog and he must have somehow instigated the other dog. He must have created some sort of problem. Yet, he didn’t. He continued to be on his best behavor the entire time. His crime in the eyes of these women was false. My dog wagged his tail at the people that passed by & the ones that stopped to pet him, he sniffed and kissed their hands, he didn’t jump, he didn’t growl, he didn’t bite, he didn’t react negatively to any of the other dogs in the pet store, instead when I asked another owner if they would mind a dog introduction, (and explained I was working on socialization with my puppy) the dogs meeted and greeted; their owners were happy to take part in it.

I’m always careful with introductions with other dogs and I pay close attention to Butch’s body language. I do know that any dog can display aggression towards other animals, and that isn’t uncommon in Pits. My dog is also a male, which again, isn’t an uncommon behavior. Socialization is important for many reasons, I know I cannot stop animal aggression if it EVER occurs, but I can appropriately take the correct steps to understand what to look for and what situations to avoid with my dog. All of this is done by watching his body language, that’s the way our animals communicate with us. It’s our job as owners to be responsible for our animals, to keep them safe, and avoid situations that they are not comfortable with. Butch has not shown any aggressive signs, he does not try to dominate, I won’t say he never has, because I’d be lying. He’s a male dog, although he’s still a puppy. That behavior had occured in his own home when I first got him. My female German corrected the behavior, and began teaching him appropriate behavior. At the time he was only about 4 months old.  They are always surpervised, and I do not believe dogs should ‘hash’ it out. I do step in, so to speak, and I use dog language that Butch understands. If one or the other is irritated, they are both returned to their crates to relax. But more so, I do believe that Butch didn’t know how to correctly interact with other dogs before I got him. This was something he had to learn. Butch was taken from his litter much earlier than what he should have been, at the time, he didn’t possess the same mannerisms as other puppies. The dominance issue has since been corrected, and I know that is something I need to watch out for, and I do. But that isn’t any different than any other breed of dog.

I had taken Butch into our home, and recieved him from an older man whose apartment complex would not allow him to keep Butch. I was unaware of his history until a bit later. Thus, our loving family pet. =]  Anyway, the whole occurance got underneath of my skin. I wanted to approach the two women, I wanted to educate them on their false view point of these wonderful dogs; instead of approaching them, I went on my marry way, with my son, my dog, and my friend. I felt that an example would be much more appropriate than listening to these people bash my dog, simply because of his breed. So, Butch heeled and sat politely when we got to the counter to pay for our items. When we then headed out of the pet store, I couldn’t help but wonder why some people prefer to stay so ignorant.  But, I was hopeful that they saw how pleasant my dog was, and just maybe, they would feel like idiots. 

TracyBond
    Participant

Im sooo glad to meet other people tht feel the same way about there pittbull as i do.  Mine is my baby, he out weights me, and takes up most of the bed, (my husband and i barely get any lol) but he is out baby. 

kendseycollins
    Participant

That’s so funny!  The kids accidentally let my dog out of the house and I went after him.  A block away from our house I saw a guy outside with his 3 kids and his little minpin type dog.  He yelled at his kids to go in the house after he saw Kaos, but I was too far away to tell him the dog was friendly.  At any rate, the guys little dog came flying down the drive way barking at Kaos (little dog syndrome!) I could see the guys face turn white and he started SCREAMING at his dog to come back.  I’m pretty sure he thought his poor little pooch was about to become a snack.  Kaos looked up, saw the little dog coming for him, turned around and came FLYING back towards me with a terrified expression on his face.  The guy stopped, mid-scream, the dog chased Kaos for a second, then decided he’d done his job and went back home.  I just stopped and shook my head at the increadible bravery displayed by my 70 lb. Pit Bull.

kendseycollins
    Participant

We do the same thing with ours.  We always make him sit and stay when we go to the pet store.  It is a great opportunity to do some desensitization.  We have gotten several compliments from the employees saying what a good and pretty boy he is.  He’s recieved MORE than his fare share of free treats from employees and kids.  I was so embarrassed though, he is also not neutered and he peed on a rack when we were looking at toys.  I was beside myself and, apparently he was too because he tucked his tail and looked mortified till we got back into the car.  The employee I got to help clean it up just laughed.  Kaos was very sorry and hasn’t tried to claim any more objects that are inside since.

KPoe83
    Participant

I took my 13 month old to the dog park this week for the first time and within 10 minutes everyone grabbed their dogs and took off. The ignorance broke my heart. She was running, playing and just being a dog and people ran like she was Godzilla. How can my sweet 63lb dog scare grown adults that much?

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  Aren’t they funny?!  Every morning, without exception, at about 6:30 am, my 70 lb. “puppy” crawls into bed with me and my husband, steals atleast two pillows, all the blankets and SNORES like a flippin freight train while shoving us off the other side of the bed.  Eventually I throw in the towel and just get up for the morning.  My husband (who doesn’t have to get up till about 7) rolls over and snuggles with the dog, rather than me, and they both snore happily away till the alarm clock goes off.  Then my husband gets up.  Kaos just grunts a few times, stretches and falls back asleep till we leave the room.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.