Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Should I switch their food?

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Health Should I switch their food?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ChristinaMarie
    Participant

I read on here about Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers Soul and was wondering if I should try it out. My 6 month old APBTs were on Nutro Natural Choice, but it was getting a bit expensive especially since its two of them. I just changed their food to Purina One Large Breed Puppy as I thought it wasn’t that bad for the cheaper foods. I never heard of CSFTDLS until now and am thinking of switching. Please let me know.

go ask alice
    Participant

as i always say, whatever works for you!

there are always gonna be people who are going to tell you that what your feeding you dog isnt what you should be, sometimes there right and sometimes there just being ignorant.

My pup is 4 1/2 old and i started making dog food for her, sometimes mixed with crunchies, and i’ll make her scrambled eggs sometimes and mix bacon grease (only suggested if your dog isnt over weight) with rice and vegatables with some liver and she loves it.
    Everyday i usually change her food up, she seems to enjoy it and her coat and heath is absolutely perfect!
    then other times i’ll just feed her wet food and crunchies (you should probably check the  ingredients first before buying).

So i would say whatever works best for you and your dogs, everyone is different, sometimes you just gotta check out other options (:

Good luck apollo & dukes mom!

KaylasMom
    Participant

go ask alice is right, you will have people tell you all kinds of things.  The first person you should ask is your vet.  Though, be cautious…many vets subscribe only to certain “theories” when it comes to food.  Many vets are what I call “Science Diet” vets.  They get “commission”, per se, for selling Science Diet.  The manufacturer of SD, Hill’s, donates a lot of money and products to vet schools and vets, and they are the sponsor of many veterinary related events, etc.  But…many scientific food studies will list SD as a relatively poor quality food.  Check out what foods your vet is selling right out of the clinic before you ask!  If you don’t ask, surf around various pit forums and see what people feed.  This may be your best route. 

The best way to judge how a food is doing is to look at your dog.  How are her stools?  Are they tiny in amount and firm (that is good!)?  How is her coat?  Is it shiny and soft, or dry and brittle?  What about her eyes?  Do you have to clean a lot of eye gunk out of the corners?  These are just a few of several questions to ask yourself.   

The Chicken Soup brand is not a bad brand at all.  Many research studies rank it as an above-average food.  It ranks higher than what I call “grocery store brands”.  Those are the Pedigrees, Benefuls, Purina, etc.  The Purina you were feeding isn’t all that bad, honestly.  Yes, there are much better foods out there that your pup will thrive much better on, but there are much worse foods!  Chicken Soup is what we call a grain-based food, meaning that the meat content is a bit lower than it should be to meet a dog’s needs, and has too much grain.  Many dogs are allergic to grains, and plus, it isn’t a product that they need a ton of.  Dogs are omnivores, but still have a carnivore background and meat/protein based dietary need.  I wouldn’t mind feeding my dog Chicken Soup if I didn’t already have some other favorites.  🙂

Many of us feed our dogs a mix of a a high quality kibble, and add some cooked meat to their mealtimes every now and then.  I mix in cooked egg, beef, chicken, turkey, and organ meats into random meals.  Tonight, Kayla will have her kibble, plus some cooked liver and tripe.  I will also buy high quality canned foods and mix a tiny bit in also with kibble.  That helps balance out what the kibble doesn’t provide.  Just make sure that you balance the ratio of kibble to the other foods if you choose to do that. 

If you are thinking Chicken Soup, go for it.  Make sure you get the right one for the age/weight of your dog.  I believe that there are 3 or 4 different kinds.  Some other kibbles to consider:  Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Acanna, EVO, and Solid Gold.  Again, you will know what is right when you see improvements in many facets of your dog’s life.  You have to do what your budget allows, but try to do the best that you can! 

If you do decide to switch, do it slowly over a period of a few weeks.  Don’t do it all at once, or you may have a messed up GI tract on your hands!  If you don’t switch, add some stuff to her current diet and that can help out with what your kibble is missing! 

Best of luck!  🙂  Sorry that I rambled….I tend to do that.  You will see that quite often from me!

ChristinaMarie
    Participant

<p>Thank you both sooo much!&nbsp; I’ve learned a lot! 🙂 I think the current food is working for them, so far anyway, their stool and coat is just fine and they seem to love it. Guess I’ll stick with it for a while until I see any negative change, and at the next vet visit be sure to see what they think. &nbsp;</p>
    <p>I would like to add more meat to the food seeing that its not the best quality. I will do some more research on that. And thank you both again</p>

go ask alice
    Participant

No problem, anytime! (:

Liver is a cheap meat and it is sooo good for your dog, you can but it for $1.50 at the grocery store. Chicken breasts, ground beef and all that stuff is a really good thing to add to there crunchies once you break it up into little pieces too.

KaylasMom
    Participant

Glad to help!  Food is so important to our dog’s health and well-being, so it is good that you are concerned about it!  Alice is right, liver at the store is really cheap!  Just boil it up and serve!  Plus, it makes mealtime so much more exciting for them. 

Keep up the GREAT work!  🙂

Dom and Gemmas Mama
    Participant

i feed my two pits the same food  “Rachel rays noutrish” now i dont know where yall will find it cause i can only find it at the food lion grocery stores……my pits are 10 1/2 weeks and a year and 1/2 old and they can both eat this food no prob … the first three ingredients are as follows : BEEF (if u get the chicken one it will say chicken) , chicken meal , brewers rice… $15 for 10lb…not too pricey…its really a great food packed full of oils for their coat…this is a good crunchy to add to the liver and stuff mentioned above

good luck!!

ChristinaMarie
    Participant

I’m going to go get some meats tomorrow and start, I hope they like it! 🙂 Oh and do you guys add anything to the meat or just leave it plain?

KaylasMom
    Participant

So, did you purchase some meat?  If so, how are they liking it??

I usually just leave the meat plain.  Every one in awhile, I will sprinkle some garlic powder (NOT garlic salt) to the cooked meat, just for some kick.  Plus, garlic (in small quantities) is good for dogs. 

I have also boiled meat, chicken especially, in broth rather than water to puck up different flavors.  Bullion cubes of different flavors will work in boiling water too.  Just be creative!  Your dogs will thank you for it no matter what you do.  🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.