Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Shes “claiming” me!

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Shes “claiming” me!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Katara.Love.2010
    Participant

I recently adopted my pit and she has taken ownership over me! She does not like my Min Pin to show affection towards me. My Pit gets aggrevated and it worries me. I know we are still in a fresh stage of getting to know each other, but I want to set boundaries the right way. I am so happy that the two dogs get a long when I’m out of the picture, but when I’m in between them, jealousy sets in. I need to set boundaries with both of them. Sharing is key and I don’t want tension between the two. Any advice?

amberc922
    Participant

Sounds like your pit was previously in a bad situation involving humans. But on the other hand your Min Pin has had you all to his/her self. Small dogs like Min Pins get very possessive I know from the Chihuahua that was mine when I lived at home and now is my Dad’s. My parents also had another Chihuahua that got hit by a car about 4yrs ago and he was super possessive of my mom. When he was laying by her no one not even my dad or me could touch her or when we got near her he woudl start growling. I hate little dogs their so damn mean sorry I know you have a Min Pin and those are so cute and proud of themselves when they walk around lol. Ok anyways back to the problem. They BOTH need to learn to share you not just the Pit. Teach them BOTH that when one is in your lap the other must wait. Be very firm about it and eventually they will learn what is going on.

Amber

Katara.Love.2010
    Participant

What are your thoughts on spending time with both of them next to me? Ive been trying to show them that we can be one big happy family. I also try to be very equal with the love I give them. Not picking a favorite will probably be beneficial. I give them both individual attention as well. And you’re right… little dogs need that ego fix. My Min Pin has always tried to be dominant with other dogs. Unfortunately for him, my Pit has already put him in his place. I will make sure I am very firm with them. Thank you for the feed back. 🙂

amberc922
    Participant

Not a problem. That is funny the pit put the min pin in his place cause my parents chihuahua puts all dogs in their place no matter their size lol. I make my two share my lap and time but they will push each other out of the way to be the closest to me lol. Kids will go as far as to bite Ace’s back leg to get his attention then when he turns around she slips in its so funny. I guess I’m pretty lucky with mine cause they will drink out the warlte bowl at the same time and even share food bowls. They know how to push each others buttons its so funny. So I would just stick to your firmness and always stay calm and relaxed when you are around them. I know with knowing the pit hype you want to keep your gaurd up but that can give you a nervous presence which you don’t want. I did that at first with Kids. I learned now that yes she’s powerful but I let my over reactive guard down and she does really well.
    Amber

Katara.Love.2010
    Participant

Honestly, I’m more worried about my Mini getting out of line than my Pit. Katara is very calm and super social with everyone. The part that scarese with her is the strength in her jaw. Zuko is like a mosquito and seems to push my Pit over the edge. I know on time they’ll be fine. Just a lot work ahead of us!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.