Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Sad Day!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kendseycollins
    Participant

So, here’s the story, as much as I love my pitty, I also really love Shelties (for different reasons.)  We’ve been on a painstaking search for a high energy friend for our Kaos.  He’s VERY dog friendly and great with smaller dogs.  We go to the dog park and dog sit on a regular basis for dogs of all sizes.  The next door neighbors little ankle biter chases Kaos all over the place.  I was very excited becuase we found a couple who was getting divorced and can’t keep their 3 year old, VERY active Sheltie and are looking for a good home.  We had a good phone convo and had agreed that she sounded like a great fit for our family and situation.  They had tried to find a home for her, but had been unsuccessful because of her energy.  We have dog sat more laid back dogs and Kaos just gets bored and goes back to pestering us to play.  We set up a time to meet her on Friday.  Later that night, I got a txt from the owner, wondering what kind of dog we have.  With a sinking feeling in my stomach, I explained that our dog is a APBT.  I said that, if she is uncomfortable with that, I understand, but that we’ve had Kaos since he was 6 weeks old.  He has been sociallized and raised the right way.  I also explained that we aren’t bringing another dog into our home willy nilly.  We are being very careful what dog we bring home, which is why our search is now in its’ second, almost 3rd week.  I put an add out a week ago and have been getting non-stop calls since, we just haven’t found the right fit yet.  At any rate, she hasn’t gotten back to me since.  I’m thinking she won’t let her girl go to a home with a pit bull, no matter that we are probably the best home she’ll find.  MAJOR frowny face.  I’m just on a serious downer because I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited, and I know Kaos was too, I could see it on his face 😉  Now I’m so bummed out, Kaos is too, I can see it on his face!  Lol.

Chrismc
    Participant

Bummer, maybe you could suggest a meet with her and Kaos?

kendseycollins
    Participant

That’s what we are doing with all our potential family members.  We don’t worry about Kaos being agressive, but we aren’t stupid.  We know that, if another dog was ever to start a fight in our home, Kaos would finish it.  He’s just to big and powerful to risk bringing in a dog that doesn’t like him.  So, we’re being very careful to find a dog that will enjoy being “tagged,” and slobbered on.  We went to meet an Australian Shephard today, but he didn’t like Kaos at all!!!!  They were just saying hello, Kaos was sniffing his front paws, no agressive posturing or anything.  All of a sudden the other dogs hackles, head and tail went up and he started growling at Kaos.  Kaos didn’t react. The other dog didn’t stop growling at Kaos the entire time we were there.  I was pretty bummed out because he was a nice dog and liked the kids.  But… Whadoyado?  Can’t have a dog that doesn’t like our biggest baby.  It was kind of funny though, because I don’t think Kaos has ever heard a dog growl, so he tried  growling like he does when he’s playing tug-o-war, then just sat there and wagged his tail and whined, trying to play.  So, my search continues. I feel like we’re looking for the next American Idol, recruiting talent, conducting interviews, then overseeing try-outs.  I’ll be very glad when we find a buddy for Kaos!

southern_pit79
    Participant

that sucks! i am sure you will find the right fit, which always takes longer. Poor Kaos!

kendseycollins
    Participant

Yeah, it does take a while.  The sad part is, when you’re trying to rescue a dog, either people freak out because they don’t want their beloved lab living with a pitty (I don’t even want a lab, they’re not my type,) or they don’t care at all if the two dogs are a good fit, they just need to get rid of theirs.  Oh well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.