Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Realizing i need to resocializing my 5year old apbt…

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Realizing i need to resocializing my 5year old apbt…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    karma6929
    Participant

Ok, i have a 5year old abpt that is very well behaved in most any situation….except with other animals other than our own. I use to socialize her all the time, bring her every where, went to the dog park almost everyday, basiclly anywhere i was allowed to bring her i did. but recently i have been movin a lot latley and now that i am settled down i went to bring my 6month apbt(sadie) and my 5yr abpt(karma) to the dog park and it did not go over well to say the least…. how can i safely resocializing her?

franknlily
    Participant

One suggestion is to take Karma to a beginning obedience class. That way she can be around other dogs yet in a safe environment, with trainers that understand dog temperment. They aren’t allowed to socialize like when they were puppies but it keeps that understanding that they can be around other dogs and have fun.

My one year old has decided to bark at many of the dogs on our walks. So what I’ve been doing is taking him without his sister and bringing sliced hot dogs. When a dog comes near I stop him and get him focused on the treat. Some time it takes a minute or two and then I just let him relax and he’s fine. For him the dog park will be out of the question. But as long as we can walk anywhere in public and he can control himself that’s all I ask for.

deborahbgkelly
    Participant

I would suggest some training classes. Peaches was highly dog-reactive when we first got her. Though she’s not entirely comfortable with other dogs yet, she is doing much better. She went from being the most reactive dog in the clas (i.e., the loudest) to one of the quietest. The class we did was called Grumpy Growlers, but there might be something similar. There are also Shy Dog classes in some places. I’d call your local humane society or favorite training place to get advice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.