Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Raw Food Diet

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Health Raw Food Diet

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    herc the jerk
    Participant

Hey, does anyone have their dog on a raw food diet???? I have heard good things and it can be done for relatively cheap. Yet I am not sure where to start. Liver, Beef hearts are super cheap at the grocery store but I am not sure what things to buy and what to supplement them with.

KaylasMom
    Participant

Raw food diets are a good thing for dogs, but only IF and ONLY if you know EXACTLY how to feed it to your dog, add the appropriate amounts of vitamins, nutrients, vegetables, etc.  Believe it or not, the kibble and canned food that are fed to dogs tend to be as balanced as they need to be to meet the nutritional needs of dogs.  Well, that is as long as you get HIGH QUALITY dog food, and not Purina Dog Chow or Ol’ Roy. 

My suggestion would be to do a TON of research before you even think about attempting a raw food diet!  That is not something that I would take lightly.  I started my dog on it for a few months, and switched her back to kibble as it was messing with her GI tract.  What I do know is feed VERY high quality kibble as her primary diet, but supplement with cooked meats, a litte raw meat from time to time, eggs, and veggies.  That may be something to do, that way your dog is getting the correct nutrition and also other yummies too!

Here are some raw food websites to look at:

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/raw-dog-food-diet.html

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/barf.html

http://www.raw4dogs.com

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet  <<–very helpful!!

These are just a few of  many websites to look at.  PLEASE make sure that you do your research before attempting a raw diet.  It isn’t something that you can just give your dog soem raw meat and call it a day.  It takes so much more than that!

go ask alice
    Participant

I wouldnt suggest a raw food diet, only because it can be very risky if you dont know how to do it properly. I recently started making my own dog food from some really great reciepies i found on the internet, nothing is raw, its all cooked and she loves it soo much better then regular dog food. So unless your committed to doing alot of homework about the raw food your preparing for your pup, i would instead find better methods such as making your own dog food or buying some of the other dog food that they suggest on this site. Also, dont ever by already prepared raw food for dog, you have no idea how old it is and you just dont exactly know how they prepared it.

Good luck!

chocolatepittie
    Participant

I’ve been feeding raw food to my four pit bulls for 3 years now and couldn’t be happier!! They are in EXCELLENT health, their teeth are incredible, their poop doesn’t smell anywhere near as bad and is smaller and more compact, they rarely pass gas, their breath smells wonderful. Read, read, read and talk to people who feed it. You have to be careful to feed a variety and add supplements and vitamins. It is well worth the effort. I am absolutely stunned at how great my dogs look and feel. If you are a savvy shopper it doesn’t have to be more expensive either.

TORO
    Participant

Raw diets are the best nutrtion as long as there is bone. Not bone meal, whole bone. supplements are uneccessary as long as you are using no GMO’s, PERIOD!! Never feed raw pork nor Salmon. Your dog will get parasites that can be fatal very quickly to your dog if fed raw. A dogs diet consists the same of a Wolve or Canis Lupis. The only vegetation your dog would get NATURALLY would be in the preys stomach. Would it hurt to add some? No and I add to my diet as well. all vegetation should be limited to 10% of your dogs diet. As far as meats, NO G.M.O!!!

GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS. Stay away from these meats for your dogs and of course, for you!

Go to your local butcher. Chicken backs are my #1 ingredient because they are farmed locally and 100% organic by all means. There is plenty of bone and cartiledge. No need for glucosamine tablets or calcium tabs. Plus your dog having to work for his meal cleans his teeth and does something that dogs who eat commercial based diets dont, CHEW. Dogs dont chew kibble, they grab it break it, crumbles and they swallow it. When your dog chews his jaws are sending a message to the body, “Get ready for acidic LIVING foods”. A dogs pH balance is 1.0!!

Do your research. Know what the hell is actually going into your dog’s bowl!

BUY FROM LOCAL BUTCHERS AND REMEMBER…NO G.M.O’S!!!

southern_pit79
    Participant

ive started layla off slow, i put a raw egg in her dry food at dinner. no problems so far. have also given her a little raw ground beef occasionally, no issues there. getting ready to do more…

seohkcs
    Participant

pregnancy complication, which means premature cessation of pregnancy. This pregnancy risk is more when a pregnant woman approaches seven weeks of pregnancy. Abortion or medical termination of pregnancy is done to terminate a fetus with genetic abnormalities or which could lead to other pregnancy risks.

first symptoms of pregnancy
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.