Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Potty pad training an indoor dog

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Potty pad training an indoor dog

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bianca.f
    Participant

My (almost) 5month old is great about going outside and has few accidents, but during the day when i’m at work i would love to let him roam around my apartment instead of being confined in his crate for 5-6 hours while i am gone. I’ve had him for almost a month and have bought training pads and designated a spot for them but he completely ignores them.

Does anybody have any successful tricks ??

amberc922
    Participant

I underdstand you not wanting to crate him while your at work but pits are notorious for being destructive so not using the training pads could be the least of your worries. I learned the hard way trying to leave my two pits loose while I was at work….hahaha did I get a suprise when I came home for lunch. They had shredded an $80 dog bed. I was so mad. They have toys everywhere and they tore that up because they were mad I left. But the day before I left them loose and they were fine never touched a thing…so now they are crated. My boyfriend is home now most of the day so they are loose but they got use to it before that and I would crate them at 8am, let them out for about 30mins at noon and the they were crated til 5pm when I got home. They would be a little wild but I let them out to run outside and played with them then sometimes we would go for a walk and they adapted just fine. As for the training pads….my experience with people I know doing that with their dogs turns out bad because they learn it’s ok to potty in the house even when they pads aren’t there anymore. I really don’t reccomend using them to anyone. General Rule of thumb is for every month old the puppy is how long it should be able to go without peeing.

Bianca.f
    Participant

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I decided to leave him out one day and boy was that a mistake, he somehow into his treats and ate the whole pack of beef liver treats .. also leaving me 2 very smelly surprises when I got home. He wasn’t too destructive but I do feel better about leaving him in the crate while I’m gone now until he can hold it for longer.

Bloo
    Participant

I am glad you chose the crate. My dogs are crated when I am gone for longer than 30 minutes at a time. It is not just for potty training purposes, but also for safety issues. Growing up we kenneled our dog at a “in-home” center and they let the dogs rome free. She somehow got into a cabinet and into some rat poision and cleaners. After thousands of dollars and lots of praying, she survived but was scarred for life. I highly recommend not leaving any dog unsupervised. They are like babies and will stick anything in their mouth.

I would recommend getting a doggie playpen. They sell some that are big enough so your dog can have so he can have a little freedom. It may not be as much freedom as letting him roam around your apartment, but it will be enough room so he can play. You could also put a training pad in there. Plus he won’t be destructive because he won’t have easy access to anything around your apartment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.