Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Pitty Pup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nashay1234
    Participant

My pitty is about 3 to 4 mts old and we are working on his training but he is really hyper and wont focus when i have the treats hes jumping and stuff but ever know and then he will listen but its HARD to get him to. So what can i do to get him calmer?

arm11679
    Participant

In my ecperience with my two(witch mind very well) training was easy.
    i got lucky…. my friend who saw how easily mine learned got a male and he had me train him.. well i realized veryfast i just got lucky.
    but after a week of 30 min a day of continuos training he got better. i find that being firm in your command. and not rewarding at all when command isnt done made a large difference.
    Example i said sit and said it firm. dog sat and he recieved treat and happy reaction. did this while i held treat at my chin level so he could see but not reach it. when he did not sit i put treat in pocket and walked away. when he followed i let him smell treat and repeated command firmly, he sat i gave treats and lots of love worked well. some pits are very hyper and need more time like childern, dont give up

nashay1234
    Participant

well he knows the commands its just getinf him to focus hes very hyper…like when i tell him to sit he does it but b4 i can give him a treat he wiggles and moves.

amberc922
    Participant

When working with young puppies you have to be quick. They have short attenion spans. Waiting patiently will come with time. Yes he should sit long enough to get a treat but I was taught that you only treat them when first training. Once they got the command down then stop using treats and just praise. That might work better for you too. Also be very very firm in your voice when giving commands. NEVER keep repeating commands. If you say it once and they don’t do it start over. Don’t keep saying sit sit sit sit until they do. That is not the idea behind manners. They need to know what to do the first time. Pits are typically hyper, high energy, and stubborn thanks to the terrier in them. When Kira was in puppy kindergarden she was a star and did amazing. Then when we got to obedience and CGC she was going through her adolecents and thought she could decided when and what she wanted to do. It can be frustrating but when you start to get mad at them stop and take a deep breath then start over. Also make them tired before you train with them. Throw toys and stuff to let them burn off energy. Training a tired pit is much much easier. Good Luck
    Amber

nashay1234
    Participant

he sit on the 1st time he just has so much energy im gonna try playing with him to get him wore down be four tranning.

joneskj
    Participant

mine was the same way at first…Exercise was the key for her…wear them out so they aren’t as hyper and they’ll focus more.

Now at 1 year old my Nina knows:Sit, Lay Down, Roll Over, Shake, High Five, and my favorite…Play Dead…we say “Bang” and she rolls over on her back and will stay that way anywhere between 5-30 seconds depending on the hyper level that day.

It’s just a process

nashay1234
    Participant

yeah i tryed geting him to run b4 i tyed working on the traning and im useing the clicker it seams to work to

makayla2408
    Participant

if you want him calmer make him run!!!!!!
    you can
    * take him on a bike run
    * fetch
    * run with him
    their is lots of ways i tought my pit to let me tie him to the bike and go for a run that way but your have to teach them went they are young or they will be diffacult.

nashay1234
    Participant

he now has a BAD barking problem he barks for no reason when he sees some one he barks when some one walks in the house he barks when you stand next to him he barks and barks and barks…lol

nashay1234
    Participant

I have decided to get him fixed

aschlauf
    Participant

Don’t get him fixed now!!! He is only four months old. You have to wait until they are at least six months old.

amberc922
    Participant

Getting him fixed is not going to solve your behavior problems. I don’t know if you have ever owned pits before but from my experiences with them and my two they are extremely high energy dogs. They get crazy when they are not exercising enough. Mine have adjusted to their schedules now and are relaxing. My mom’s pit is 10months and she bounces off the walls if she’s not exercised. The barking and misbehaving is an attention getter. Like a screaming child. When you react to the screaming they pick up on that so they know if they scream then you will pay attention to them. So turn that to the dog and he is getting your attention every time even though it is to correct him it works. I seen someone mentioned bike runs but if he is not well trained with a leash that could be a bad idea. Also I have read somewhere I don’t remember where now but biking with them is not recommened for puppies they need to be almost a year old before you do that with them. It could cause long term damage. You want to exercise them to make them tired but you don’t want to push them to do something they are not physically ready for. He’s your dog so you can do what you want obviously but in my experience with all dogs its not always a good idea to over do it. Also try daycare. Sounds crazy maybe but he will be able to play with other dogs and I garuntee when you pick him up he will be beat.

nashay1234
    Participant

im going to wait to get him fix till hes ready,, im not doing to to solve his prob im doing it b/c i don’t want him to breed

graycastle
    Participant

I have a 7 month old who’s similar in that he’s very hyper, and that sometimes (especially on walks) it can be hard to get him to focus – he’ll even turn down his favourite treats if he’s busy watching a squirrel or wants to eat some sidewalk trash. What I’ve found to be a HUGE help is clicker training – if he sits and then wiggles away before you can give him food and reward his behaviour, the clicker will help you keep up with him. I really recommend reading some articles (there are lots about clicker training) before starting, but the gist of it is, you “load” the clicker by going click-treat click-treat click-treat many times over a few days, until your dog knows that a click means a reward. Then you can start using the clicker to “mark” the good behaviour – so the moment he hear the click, he thinks, TREAT! That way you can click the moment he sits, the moment he’s walking nicely by your side, the moment he looks up at you for direction. Seriously it’s made a big difference in my guy after only a few weeks – now he works for the click rather than for the treat. The important thing is to never ever click without treating: the click is a promise of a reward.

The other thing I’ve found that really helps is always having a variety of treats; my guy gets bored really easily and loves new things. So I used to go out with just Zuke’s training treats or just jerky . . . now I go out with little bits of cheese, little bits of hot dog, Zuke’s, jerky, even a squeeze tube full of pumpkin sometimes (he loooooves pumpkin). That way he never knows what he’s going to get, and it keeps him interested and more focused on me. I take my clicker too, and when he’s doing the right thing it’s click-reward click-reward click-reward over and over, and no clicks for running ahead or pulling or barking at people. I do click-reward him for NOT barking at people, NOT chasing squirrels, etc. Now when he sees a squirrel or a person he wants to go up to, he’ll pull a bit and then sit down and stare at them – which isn’t perfect, but is certainly better than barking and jumping at them! So I click-reward him for having a little impulse control. Small steps!

The other thing to remember is that your puppy is a puppy – he doesn’t have much of an attention span yet. Just keep being patient, make sure you reinforce the good behaviour and don’t reinforce the bad behaviour, and you’ll get there. Pitties tend to be REALLY smart, so if you reward a bad behaviour (with attention etc.) even once it can have terrible consequences (I have found!). But by the same token, they will learn quickly if you’re consistent and patient.

nashay1234
    Participant

yea hes doing might better…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.