Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

pit in heat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    froggy72885
    Participant

ok prolly gonna sound weird, but i am not only a new pit owner, but i have also never had a female dog. how long am i supposed to put up with the blood on the floors?

Tildas daddy
    Participant

from exp. Id say about 10 days

go ask alice
    Participant

I would have to say the same, about 10 days.
    If your getting tired of all the blood on the floor, i would suggest taking an old pair of boxers or shorts, cutting a hole for the tail and letting her wear them around the house, i had to do that because we have wood floors in our house and it just stains and looks really bad.

KaylasMom
    Participant

go ask alice had a great idea with the old boxers or shorts, as I was going to say to go and buy the dog diapers at your local pet store. There are ones for incontinence and others especially for females in heat.

Keep in mind that the average female will go into heat every 6 months, and it can last for up to three weeks. But, it does differ from dog to dog. All I can say is be prepared.

Please tell me that you have an appointment set up with your vet to have her spayed. If she is a puppy, a puppy can get pregnant in her first heat cycle, which is not very safe for the dog.

froggy72885
    Participant

she is a year and a half old, im not sure if this is her first heat cycle or not. I have only had her since september bc a friend was not able to keep her when she moved back to maine. so no i have not made an appt to get her spayed. at this point i do not have the funds to do that. my friend is supposed to take her back when she gets her own place that allows pits. but for now she is my pup.

i did get dog diapers for her, man does she hate them. but they have caused her to calm right down

KaylasMom
    Participant

If she is a year and a half old, this is definietly not her first heat. She has had several before now.

I understand that funds are tight, but you must get her spayed as soon as you can. Most cities have low cost spay/neuter clinics that offer incredibly affordable spays/neuters. Also, research to see if there is a pit bill rescues or organizations in your area. Many pit organizations offer low cost or free spay/neuter certificates to certain vets/clinics due to the mass overbreeding of pits. As pit owners who care about the future of our dogs, many of our organizations will help you with spaying your dog to keep the population from increasing. Spaying just one dog may not sound like much, but keep in mind that her one litter can spiral into hundreds, if not thousands of dogs when they all breed. The numbers are staggering.

There are also many benefits to spaying your dog. Of course, one is that you will no longer need to clean up after her and make her wear diapers!! That should make the both of you very happy!

Another benefit is that if she happens to be around other dogs while she is in heat, her phermones can cause MAJOR issues with other dogs nearby, especially males (whether intact or not), which can turn into fighting and possibly get your dog involved. Then you would be talking about some MAJOR vet bills.

A major benefit to spaying your girl (other than preventing MORE pit bulls) are medical benefits. Females sometimes tend to be better pets if they do not go into heat every six-to-nine months. Heat cycles bring hormonal changes that can lead to personality changes. Repeated heat cycles may subject their reproductive system to uterine and mammary cancers as they age. Some feamles experience false pregnancies that can be a bother to deal with and uterine infections that can be fatal.

Keeping all that in mind, spaying your girl would be the best thing that you could do for her right now. Please consider borrowing some cash or asking for someone to help you with her. It is your responsibility as a dog owner to take care of her, prevent medical issues the best that you can, and to prevent anymore pit babies.

Best of luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.