Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Pit Bulls going to dog park

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Pit Bulls going to dog park

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    nerdsmith
    Participant

I am a dog lover but not a pitbull owner.  I have siberian huskies and can not imagine life without the dogpark.  I applaud this discussion – your community displays a standard for care from which other dog owners could learn.  I have been going to various dogparks in Florida and now Texas for about 5 years.  I probably spend at least 10-hours a week there and most of the new friends I’ve made, I met at the dog park.  I have met a lot of bad dogs/bad dog owners at the park – the concerns raised here are certainly not limitted to pitbulls.  When it comes down to it, the sign on the park says, “use at your own risk”.  And, managing that risk is your business.  As long as you obey the laws, no one should look down on you for bringing your pet to the park.  At the same time you really need to take into account the additional risks you place on yourself and your pet.  I have seen multiple fights involving pitbulls at the dogpark (among many of other fights).  However, the only dogs and owners I have seen held accountable were the pitbull families.  In the worst case, the pitbull was confiscated from the owner and destroyed and the owner was sited by the city and held responsible for vet and medical bills.  It seems to me that by taking a pitbull into a dogpark your responsible for your dog – and everyone else’s in the  park.  That’s a pretty scary thought.

TheIrishBAMF
    Participant

I’m quite nervous about taking my little guy to a local park even though it was suggested but from reading the experiences here it seems like my decision has been made for me. I don’t think I’ll be taking him to the dog park, it doesn’t allow leashes and I’d be quite fearful for something to happen. He’s been so well behaved when meeting other dogs and when I tell him to sit as a new dog approaches on the street while walking he will remain still as the other dogs investigate and will not move until I give him the go ahead. He even treats the neighbors dog like a dream and it’s not much larger than a squirrel.

I want to socialize him but I would not want to take a chance with so many strange dogs running around as I have no idea what their temperament may be toward other dogs, specifically mine. I have grown up in an area where all the dogs knew one another and you could let them out in the yard and they’d play with each other and you knew the owners and the dogs well.

Now I own a home in the city so things are a little different. Add to that this is my first dog after having moved out of my parents’ home for school. I’m fairly experienced but I’m pretty worried about other people and the way I have seen so many dogs raised. I really want to socialize my dog properly but I’m not about to jeopardize the community with a poorly though out choice.

TheIrishBAMF
    Participant

I’m quite nervous about taking my little guy to a local park even though it was suggested but from reading the experiences here it seems like my decision has been made for me. I don’t think I’ll be taking him to the dog park, it doesn’t allow leashes and I’d be quite fearful for something to happen. He’s been so well behaved when meeting other dogs and when I tell him to sit as a new dog approaches on the street while walking he will remain still as the other dogs investigate and will not move until I give him the go ahead. He even treats the neighbors dog like a dream and it’s not much larger than a squirrel.

I want to socialize him but I would not want to take a chance with so many strange dogs running around as I have no idea what their temperament may be toward other dogs, specifically mine. I have grown up in an area where all the dogs knew one another and you could let them out in the yard and they’d play with each other and you knew the owners and the dogs well.

Now I own a home in the city so things are a little different. Add to that this is my first dog after having moved out of my parents’ home for school. I’m fairly experienced but I’m pretty worried about other people and the way I have seen so many dogs raised. I really want to socialize my dog properly but I’m not about to jeopardize the community with a poorly though out choice.

bbarry75
    Participant

We stopped taking our pit to the dog park when an agressive dog bit him. My pit was so scared, he is not alpha but the alpha dog seem to corner him at the dog park. The other dog owners don’t see anything wrong with their dogs behavior. he just likes to play chase with the little dogs.

ashesmommie
    Participant

I used to take mine when she was a puppy only but too many people go to make friends and socialize and they’re not even paying attention to their dog’s actions. I also stopped going because we had two bad experience in the dog park with huskies. And since then my dog doesn’t like huskies, She has been attacked by them at least 4 times.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.