Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Pit Bull Help!!

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Pit Bull Help!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rebe
    Participant

Hi everyone.

Hi everyone.

I adopted a 2-5 yr old pit bull from an animal shelter a year ago. She is extremely, extremely sweet and good inside the house. She doesn’t chew anything or bite and has been house trained and have never gone inside the house.

Sadly, I took this to mean she didn’t need much training and I am a first time dog owner. When I take her for a walk, she is able to walk beside me or behind. She lunges at cats and squirrels but that’s not really a problem. Overall, she is a real joy.

But…

On our way back home, no matter how much time we have spend outdoors, she would refuse to go back inside. She’d lie a street away from the house and stay there with this quiet defiance look. It has been extremely frustrating and the only thing I can do is to bribe her with treats.

I screwed up in the beginning for spoiling her, and I want to change that. I have tried longer walks and leash-free time in a field, but it haven’t done anything. I have tried positive reinforcement. It’s a odd problem, not the usual don’t-chew my shoes. And it has been dangerous a couple of times because we live in the middle of town and there is traffic and people. It has been getting worse and worse.

I have tried to be very patient, but it is incredibly frustrating not to be able to take her out as often as I’d like and I am so anxious about the whole thing.

Anyone? Some advice/tips? I can’t afford a trainer.

Coltdrey
    Participant

Try changing your mind set, it is not an option for her to go inside it is a command she must follow. Don’t think about it, then she will stop and pull or lie down just do it. I also adopted my pit and the more they relax around you and trust you the more their personality comes out. Mine wouldn’t like most dogs go near the door to the Vet, now I just walk and she follows, I tell myself in my head with some attitude that there just isn’t any option and sure enough it works.
    Also having some patience and setting her boundaries, she will love you for it, they love boundries and having a reliable routine that you follow, it makes them soooo happy.

bullmaster74
    Participant

i cant believe it but my 90 lb pit layed down in the street with my wife mostly,,same deal,,no matter how long,,,,screw ya,,im staying out attitude …and that look, i know it well..she knows u are to afraid to hurt her to really give it all u’ve got…..am i right…is her name jessie?..lol
    i talked to a trainer who does lots of pits and the thing you need to do is use a nylon choker,,it looks thin but its a noose ,,,if under the head high on the neck properly she will not be able to pull if the lead is short…but in turn if you and her are walking on leash and she suddenly stops,,,there is a sure fire way…..keep walking like u never noticed…u wontbreak her..and if it really hurt, she would just get up,,,she knows u dont want to,,,,but think of a car coming too fast in comparison to a few feet of dragging….within 2 weeks maybe less than one if u do it every time,,,,like u didnt notice she stopped…look straight ahead and walk,,,no result pull like a sled dog, she is a pit and can hang from the same head holding their body weight,,,u wont break her,,,but u may just save her..

dawnlineman
    Participant

train her with the command IN. i had to do it with mine when she wouldnt go in her kennel when we leave. U are her boss, so use positive reinforcement. be patient and make sure to keep giving her the outside time she needs

dawnlineman
    Participant

the biggest problem i have with my roxy is she will take food off everyone’s plate…except my husbands. i hate having to lock her away when we eat, but it is the only way we can get through a meal without her taking something. she stands on her back legs to try and climb on tables and counters. she is very persistent. she recently broke my dish getting to the peach cobbler by climbing. any ideas to fix this would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Ruby Roo
    Participant

You must be dominate..but not in a harsh way. I agree with “Coltdrey” about your mindset. They can sense your hesitation..hence that proud terrier defiance. There was a time when I wanted my dog to come have her bath. She flat out refused to budge off of the couch no matter the bribe. I literally picked her butt up and brought her into the tub. I suppose she knows now that I’m going to have my way because since then, she willingly steps into the bathtub..knowing she will get a treat for doing so..of course, AND a few after she fully cooperates. She is amazing..she listens to every word I say! And she so enjoys being toweled off. She cracks me up. Anyway..I have found that these dogs are like 2 year old children…really. If I give Ruby a command and she doesn’t obey at first, I simply add the word NOW and she listens. I swear I can WHISPER a command to her and she listens. I fully believe that you get a lot more with sugar. Speak kindly to your dog. She will listen. I’ll never understand people who yell or speak harshly while commanding their dogs. Why on Earth would they listen to you if you’re just scaring the crap out of them? I don’t get it. Be patient with your pup : ) She loves you.

designerrelity
    Participant

Try walking much more briskly near the end of your walk and as mentioned, don’t think about “Oh, well this is where she’s going to lay down”. Staying outside isn’t an option, YOU are the pack leader and you determine when your packs migration (Your walk) is over. If you keep thinking that she’s going to stop she’s going to sense something is wrong. With the canine nose being appx. 150 times stronger than the human, she’s completely capable of smelling your pheromones change, and this could be the cause of her stopping.

If you have to, another option is to consider running the last leg of your walk.

On a side note: Thank you for saving a Pit Bull’s Life.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.