Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Piit bull rescues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jotaylor1221
    Participant

I am new to this site. I am looking for some tips/advice. I will be taking in a mother pit bull and her only surviving puppy. They were found abandoned in a foreclosed home. They are still under the care of the vet, but I want to make them feel as welcome as I possibly can when they are released.
    I have never owned a pit bull, so I have been doing as much research as possible.

amberc922
    Participant

That is good that you are doing your research. I can tell you that just a regular pit raised from a puppy when you first get it in a good enviornment is time consuming. Taking in a troubled pit is even more time consuming. First and formost spay the mother. You don’t know her background enough to breed her. I’m sure your vet reccomended that anyways. You are going to want to baby her and feel sorry for her but remember she is a dog and spoiling is ok to a point but when dealing with a powerful breed always have RULES and make sure they know your the BOSS not them. I rescued a pit from the humane society in my town and he was raised there. I felt so bad for him for spending the first year of his life in a kennel. He was so skinny and nervous. It helped I had a pit already that was close to his age. He came home and was there an hour and then all was fine. He has become the best dog ever and protects me like no other. You can tell sometimes that is troubled from his past. But we work through that and he is getting better. I treat my two pits like my kids but I have always been VERY firm with training them. You have to have a firm stern tone in you voice when traing them. At the same time it needs to be loving so they know you care becasue a dog especally pits want to make you happy. Also see how the mother is with other dogs. Some times abandoned dogs enjoy other dogs because they are lonley. If she was abused though she may have a fear of everything until she trusts it. My friend has a pit that was abused by the owner and their kids. So she hates dark skinned people and kids she goes nuts like she’s going to eat them. Test the waters in a safe controled environment. I also want to tell you since you are new to pits be extremley prepared for people to talk bad about your dog and scold you for having one. Ignorant people are mean sometimes. So now as a Pit owner it is you job to prove them wrong just like everyone on this site. Study your breed, get advice, socialize, train, and love your pit and you will have the greatest friend you could ever find. I could go on forever so if you would like more information on being a first time pit owner of a rescue and new puppy you can email me at [email protected] I would be glad to help.

Amber

Jotaylor1221
    Participant

Thank you so much Amber! I was able to meet the dogs yesterday. I took both my daughters (5 and 3) with me to see how both would react. Both the mother and puppy were very receptive to myself and the girls. Despite what they have been through, they are so loving and kind. The mother initially jump up at my oldest, which scared her. Once the mother saw that, she never did it again! It was heartwarming to see how well both dogs act around myself and my girls. I am excited to finially bring them home.
    The animal rescue is paying to have both spayed and neutered. The foster family have dogs of all breeds and they do well around them. So that is very reassuring!
    I will definitly email you if I need anymore advice/help once I bring them home. Thank you again!

amberc922
    Participant

I’m glad I could help. You are very welcome

Elvis
    Participant

I think amber gave some awesome advice and shes right firm training rewards and spoiling later. Other than that socialize with EVERYTHING when elvis was a baby (and even now) we brought him everywhere we went to a farm thats open for the pumpkin patch and brought elvis to see the horses, ducks, goats etc…, we still take him almost everywhere with us. Also when we got elvis i dont think he had ever been leash walked and he was so scared of everything he would freeze wouldnt move outside he didnt want to budge and we were trying everything then a trainer told us think like a dog! do you thing its mother would do those things no it would have to come
    so pull him becarefull of his pads on his feet but drag him if need be omg it worked now hes an amamzing leash walker, also when he wanted to walk (finally) anytime he got distracted or tried to move ahead of us just a tiny tug like hey you walk beside me. I also did this with the stroller he wasnt allowed to walk in front of it.
    Also another great tip we got was when it comes to food when you feed make them sit and stay get the food place it in front of them but dont let them eat till you say so there are times one of our dog watches the other eat 1st if they wanted to try to jump the gun etc. Also my now 2 year old son has been doing this since he could talk he tells them sit stay stay stay stay its actually really cute but they also know hes another master of the food and thier for someone they should respect.
    Also take the food away mid eating BUT return it within moments with something tasty in the bowl a piece of chicken or treat etc… let them know you may come near the bowl even pick it up but you are in no way trying to steal it this was an avoiding food aggresion tip we were given. also you can place your hand in the bowl and put some food in your hand and let them eat from your hand while its in the bowl. I dont know the history of your mama dog these things maybe more dificult to try with her and you might want to seek someone with more experience rehabing dogs with bad past, but i thought since you also were gonna have a puppy i would add things that we found worked for us.

elvis as a puppy its from a cell so kinda blurry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.