Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Overcoming Dog Aggression/Socializing

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Overcoming Dog Aggression/Socializing

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Maia’s Mama
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I’ve just adopted Maia, who is a beautiful white/tan 2-3 year old female pit.  She’s adapted lovely to our household considering she’s had a hard past.  However, when I take her for walks, I have to go out of my way to avoid other dogs because she will bark and lunge at dogs who get too close.  According to her foster, Maia is afraid of larger dogs (or at least reacts more strongly to them when I walk her).   

I know that pits have natural dog aggression – but I’m hoping it’s not too late at her age to do some training and teach her how to at least behave around other dogs so I can take her to my mother’s house without having to worry about the well-being of her 15yr old Westie.  I do plan on calling a trainer/behaviorist at some point, but would love and appreciate to hear your tips/experience with socializing/training “out” the aggression in your adult pits.

While I do my best to control/distract Maia and avoid confrontation – I’d hate for her to earn a negative reputation in her new neighborhood.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.