Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Naughty walker

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Naughty walker

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    zombiedog1313
    Participant

My Best Friend Dexter is the smartest dog I have ever known.  Great attention span in the house along with gets along great with our other dog Charlie (Boston Terrier). 

When I take Dexter out he has a choke collar and walks relatively well without pulling on the collar.  All of his good traits get thrown away when our walk or runs take us past another dog. Instantaniously I seemingly disappear, he does not respond to my commands or the choke collar.  He starts whining/ yowling super loud, like I am hurting him or something but he is doing it because he is way too excited by this other dog.  He is pullinghim. and whining until the other dog is out of site,  Then he’ll turn normal until it happens again.  I have tried coookies and running past the other dogs- no good. 

He is a big boy, about 80# against this 135# girl.  Not only this but I dont want the other dog owneres in the neighborhood to be frieghtened by him.   This behavior is very loud and erractic.

My BF wants to go to the extreme and get a shock collar,  I really wish there was a corrective action to be taken without hurting

kendseycollins
    Participant

Do you have a very dedicated friend who owns a dog?  Hire them, or bribe them 🙂  Take your dogs to a quiet spot to start.  Have your friend walk along a little ways behind you.  At first your dog will be very intense.  Ignore the other dog and keep walking.  Wait for your dog to start getting bored (this could take a while, which is why I asked if you have a dedicated friend.)  Every time his attention breaks away from the other dog reward him.  Eventually he will become accustomed to the other dog and go back to his normal self.  This will only effect this one walk at first, but keep up with this desensitization excercise.  Keep your friends dog far enough away that they can’t touch or anything, but close enough to be a distraction, also it’s very important that you ignore the other dog and KEEP WALKING.  As you repeat this training your dog will become less reactive.  Once your dog is easier to refocus, try it when out walking.  If your dog gives you his attention, reward him. If he does not, change directions and walk the other way, then continue changing directions until he does.  Don’t just stand still and attempt to discipline your dog, or to just ignore the behavior.  Tip: try this type of training AFTER a nice run so your dog isn’t so fresh. Once you get a little more comfortable refocusing him, look for other dogs to practice with.  If you see another dog walking towards you, turn and walk so they are following you.  Always reward your dog when his focus is not on the other dog. The more you get him used to walking arund other dogs, the more accustomed to it your dog will become.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.