Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

My Pit Keeps Biting His Feet!

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training My Pit Keeps Biting His Feet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tere0471
    Participant

Is there a reason why he does this? he’s 1 1/2 yrs old. he bites his feet constantly to the point he has even bled. anyone knows why?

rebeccajoshuaoshea
    Participant

I know sometimes our dog chews on his feet to get at junk that may be stuck in his nails…or else if his feet are a bit dry. I’m not sure what else may cause something like that–food allergies? It seems dogs can be real sensitive, and allergies can cause a wide range of things. Hope others are able to give their opinions, too…and I hope you find the reason and that his feet get on the mend. 🙂

tere0471
    Participant

thanks for giving me your opinion Rebecca! it really breaks my heart to see him scratching so desperately. i guess it is dry skin, i read in one of the posts, that olive oil inside the food might help. i’ll try that hoping he likes it!!

Rommel
    Participant

My dog has bad allergies, a change in diet did a world of a difference, in my particular situation certain grains made him break out in hotspots and he’s allergic to grass which caused the paw biting and his snout gets really red and irritated. Best bet is if you visit a vet and try to rule out allergies and look into changing his diet if he does have allergies. Good luck

amberc922
    Participant

Both of my Pits have skin allergies (lucky me)! My female Kira bites her feet too and my vet told me that it is something in the grass and to use a wet washcloth or baby wipes to wipe her feet off when she comes in. I have been doing that and it works well. Also benedral can help them too. But I recommend asking your vet before giving them meds over the couter so you get the right dose for their wieght. My male Ace gets little red bumps all over his belly if he is out for along time and rubs all over the grass goofy dog. I just give him some benedral and he is fine (a little loopy) but fine.
    Good luck
    Amber

AmberDuster
    Participant

You might also want to check for any cuts or sores in between his toes and on his pads. This will make them lick and chew on their feet too.

tgifford69
    Participant

Bella, my pit bull, was doing the same thing. She was also scratching alot. I have switched her to Taste of the Wild dog food (it’s grain-free) & it has made a world of difference!!! She still will bite at her paws, but very rarely! My vet said the new food could take up to 6 weeks, so hopefully she won’t be doing it at all in a few more weeks!

Elvis
    Participant

Elvis did the same thing i didnt know at 1st feet licking & biting is a sign of allergies. Sure enough hes got bad allergies to most foods he does real bad with hives,gas,itching you name it he gets it.
    So we now use a limited ingredient food.
    I cant say enough good things about it we have pinnacle the trout formula it smells like a seafood market but they love it ! I figure if its limited formula it should smell like its primary ingredient
    My suggestion go to a store that gives you $ back if dog doesnt react well i know petco does im sure theres others

Pinnacle Holistic Trout & Sweet Potato Dog Food
    Holistic, allergen-free formula contains no allergens such as corn, wheat, rice, barley, sorghum or soy

ive also heard good things about the taste of the wild it was on our list of ones to possibly try we just tried pinnacle 1st & its done an amazing job!

Daryl Lim
    Participant

Do you give him enough food, and constantly? A good diet is always essential for a pitbull. It also might be just a bad habit. Learn to command him to stop doing it.

Then again, it might be because its just itchy. Check out its toe and bring it to a vet if necessary.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.