Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

My Pit and My Son

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    adpit
    Keymaster

My female pitbull is an excelent dog. The only thing I would change is the way she interacts with my 7month old son. she’s not mean or agressive, she just ignores him, walks away, and wants nothing to do with him besides the occasional sniff, but He loves her and laughs everytime she just walks by. any comments or suggestions?

Krushing4real10
    Participant

Find a common interest. Find something like him throwing a ball or toy. If u get him around only u and your kid will help. If the dog is going past him it can be him screaming that might drive the dog away.

princesssophia
    Participant

Your son is still quite young.  I am sure as he grows, they will become closer.  I am not sure exactly what you would like your dog to do with your son at this point.  If you clarify what it is you’re looking for, we may be able to give you more pointers.

Grayce
    Participant

I would have to ask this: Have you or your spouse reprimanded her for going near your son in the past?  How old is the dog?  Most pits are curious dogs but if you’ve made the “mom noise” (I hope you know what that is) at them, not yelling or anything, they normally know from then on that behavior won’t be tolerated. Mine has learned the word “Stop”. He knows that whatever he’s doing at the time, he’ll stop and crouch down on the floor.  Usually his tail’s still going, but he’s waiting to see what we want him to do next.

If you’ve been hesitant to let her near your son when he was younger, she knows that and will steer clear of him, even if she doesn’t know why. I watched a video of a pit walking up to a baby. The dog went to lick the baby’s face and the person/owner with the camera made the “mom noise” at him. The dog immediately walked away from the baby. Every other scene after that the baby was walking up to the dog and the dog would walk away so as not to get in trouble. As long as the reprimand wasn’t too harsh, she should figure out pretty quick that you will allow her to be around the baby as long as she’s cautious.  

You probably don’t want the dog licking the baby’s face because she will think that’s acceptable, so if you’ve stopped that behavior before, she remembers. Though normally, dogs think of the children in the family as their pack mates, it’s most important that the pit understands all the humans rank above them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.