Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

is my dog a pit bull?

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion is my dog a pit bull?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tinag123
    Participant

i bought my dog of a staff breeder, he said he bought him 2 breed but the person he bought him of didnt supply papers, so he had 2 sell, ive had alot of comments frm people saying hes very pitbull lookin as hes illegal in the uk. i dont want 2 give him away but would like 2 no so i can assure no one else can see him and report me 4 having him. hes a very lovable pet and it would break my heart if he was taken away from me. can anyone help me?

matt
    Participant

The only way to be 100% sure is to get a DNA test. Anything else is just a guess.

EricaD13
    Participant

Matt is right, but only half way. Technically, “pit bull” is not a breed at all, its a look. If you were to DNA test your dog, there is 100% chance it would NOT show up as a pit bull. A “pit bull” is a mix of many breed including mastiff, boxer, american bulldog, and bull terrier. If you use happydogdna.com to buy your at home DNA kit, you can provide that to any authority that will try and take custody of your dog, that it is in fact, NOT a pit bull. Good luck…

matt
    Participant

Very true. I’m just assuming the APBT was the topic of discussion. If we’re talking about pit-bull type dogs, that’s a different story, as Erica mentions.

Zr
    Participant

Just be aware that DNA tests are not 100% accurate, and in some cases can be way off. Some also don’t have the staffie breed. So although it may help with convincing authorities (I’m not sure if it would hold up in court; that might be something you should look into before spending the money) that it isn’t an American Pit Bull Terrier (which I don’t think any tests at the moment have), it probably won’t give you a good indication of the actual breed.

Without papers, there is no 100% way to tell what breed your dog is.

EricaD13
    Participant

APBT is not on any DNA test b/c its not considered a breed. It would possibly come up as an American Staffordshire Terrier which is the only “pit type” breed that is recognized by the AKC.

EricaD13
    Participant

The Validated Breeds are based on breeds recognized
    by the American Kennel Club® (AKC). The term “Pit
    Bull” has come to describe several types of dogs, often
    of mixed breed, that share similar physical
    characteristics. There are several AKC breeds with
    characteristics often shared by dogs referred to as “pit
    bull” that are in our database, such as the American
    Staffordshire Terrier, Boxer, Bulldog, Bull Terrier,
    Boston Terrier and Mastiff, so these breeds could be
    identified.

matt
    Participant

The AKC does not, but the UKC does. The AKC just won’t call anything a breed with a “pit” in the name. The American Staffordshire Terrier was the APBT just under a different alias at the time of inception, and even now after seperate breeding can be pretty close to the APBT.

The APBT still retains it’s “working dog” roots, while amstaffs are better at showing, which follows the emphases of the separate clubs.

Zr
    Participant

There are quite a few physical differences between the breeds now. The Am Staff I believe is bulkier, has a larger head, while the APBT is slender, muscular and quite small.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.