Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

moving!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mrspakman
    Participant

My fiance and I are trying to move into a bigger home so we can adopt more pitbulls! but our problem is finding a place that accepts them. We cant afford to buy our own home just yet, but it needs to be somewhere in our area due to my job. (Lebanon PA) Is there anywhere that i could find listings with people who accept them? Its so frustrating time after time to be told no because of how people think all pitbulls act. Rocco, our year old brindle pit, is completely house trained. doesnt go on furniture or beds

adelia
    Participant

Hello everyone,

well I understand your problem, because I had quite the same issue with my dog in Canada.

But I think that you might find what you are looking for by calling an organization which take care of animals (SPCA…, or better some pitbulls organizations that save them from bad breaders…)

You actually can google it and ask them directly. I am sure they can lead you to a good area where pitbulls are very much accepted.

Let us know what happens with you,

good luck.

KaylasMom
    Participant

adelia is right.  Contact local pit bull organizations, or even national ones, such as Pit Bull Rescue Central, and they may be able to help.  Contact shelters and humane societies in the area that you are looking to move to.  If they take in pits, they may be able to help as they will know what pit owners have to deal with.

Get a list of pet friendly places that you are interested in and call the leasing office directly.  Just ask what their pet friendly policy is and if they have breed restrictions.  If they ask you what breed you have, don’t answer.  Just tell them you would like to know what the restrictions are, if any.  By telling them what you have, that person could be biased and tell you pits are on the list, even if they aren’t.  You aren’t being dishonest; you just aren’t offering up info at that time.   

There are many rental homes out there that are pet-friendly.  Don’t forget to check those too!  Because of the housing market, many people who can’t sell their home are deciding to rent it out for sometimes less than rent at an apartment!  Many homeowners will have looser requirements for pets than large apartment communities, but you just have to ask. 

All you have to do is ask.  I am glad to know that you are looking for pit-friendly housing and wanting to be honest about it.  People who lie or hide the dogs if moving into a non pit-friendly location just make it harder for everyone else.

Best of luck to you and the family!  🙂

go ask alice
    Participant

i agree with KaylasMom,

Not telling them the breed isnt lying, its just being safe.
    It seems like alot of the time the trigger word for people is pitbull, and if they watch alot of news then im sure they would picture an agressive, huge, uncontrollable dog which 95% of the time isnt true.

There are some great organizations that can help you find an awesome home for your pit, like HugABull or if your in the states then Love-A-Bull is a good one to.

Im currently looking for an apartment for the summer when i move and i was really surprised at how many of them allow dogs as long as you put a deposit down.
    So dont think the only option is to give your pit away, there are many other things you can do to keep your dog.

Good luck!

jesse2009
    Participant

I know it has been a while since ur post. The reason people don’t want to rent  to pit owners is the insurence.When I bought my house I told insurance co I have dogs, 1st question is what kind.Many insurance co’s wont insure if there is a certain breed in the house

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.