Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Lick, Lick, Lick, Lick

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Lick, Lick, Lick, Lick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    southern_pit79
    Participant

Layla has started licking… A LOT! She licks her front legs, her paws, the couch cushions, the floor in my bedroom, (the only one with carpet), blankets. This isn’t the normal keeping herself clean type licking. She will lick the same spot for 10 minutes or more if I don’t stop her. Any idea of why she is doing this, and how to get her to stop?

OMGdog
    Participant

Did you change anything in her diet lately? And how bored is she? Being a new owner, one thing I’ve definately learned about the breed is that they don’t just “do” something, they obsess and focus so intently they become oblivious to all other things. Maybe do a trade-off and when she licks correct the behavior and then offer something in it’s place such as a chewy or toy. Kibble in a Kong is a great distractor and it’s hilarious to watch! Just an Idea, Good luck!

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  That’s an odd problem to have!  My dog just licks and licks and licks my kids till they’re rolling and laughing so hard they’re about to wet their pants.  My best suggestion would be to keep her busy.

southern_pit79
    Participant

Well she is a couch potato. I have tried playing with her and she just looks at me like I am crazy and goes and lays down. She is just now discovering toys but she REALLY has to be in the mood for a toy. I have Kong toys that you put a treat in, and those are hit or miss. I have Kong plush toys but again hit or miss. She has no desire to play with a ball. I might try giving her the toy with a treat in it when she starts licking to see if that will work. From what i have read here i definantly try to keep her busy. Actually the licking started after she started getting more excerise. She was at the shelter for months and I think that made her very lethargic. I will update on the trade off for a toy to lick. Hope it works! =)

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  We tried to get Kaos to play with a ball.  Apparently, he doesn’t have ANY retriever blood in him, because he just looked at us like, “K, you threw it, now you can go get it!”    Also, sometimes he’ll have a rawhide or dental bone gone on the way home from Petco, other times, he just gently moves it out of his way.  Of all the toys we’ve gotten for him, his alltime favorite has to be his old leash.  It’s torn to shreds, but he grabs one end and shakes his head and swings it around, the clasp has cracked him, me, the kids and my husband several times, but if it whacks him on the head, he just blinks and swings it harder.  If I remember right you’re the one that rescued her not that long ago and posted, “She’s just not that into it?”  Shelters have funny effects on dogs, it creates depression, just like in us.  A lot of dogs get a little stir crazy.  I would say that she’s probably just enjoying the peace and quiet and absorbing her new environment.  Who knows, maybe being in puppy jail made her feel the need to cleans?! 😉 However, a lot of pits are great couch potatoes!  Kaos will sneek up on our bed at night if he gets cold and he’ll stay there till about 1:30 in the afternoon, then he’ll stretch, come downstairs, and flop down on the lawn in the sunshine.  If it’s cold out he’ll curl up on the floor in the sunshine coming through the sliding glass door.  He loves to go out and run and if he’s in a mood, he’s OBNOXIOUS till he gets to go out and play, but they make great snuggle bugs, especially if you like full body pillows.  Just be careful if you sleep with a partner.  I wake up because I’m freezing and my husband and dog have all the blankets and my hubby’s snuggled up, drooling on the dog!

southern_pit79
    Participant

LOL with her plush toy she does the same head shaking thing. The depression you mentioned did worry me. When a dog plays you can see that they are happy. Since she sleeps so very much I was worried that she might be depressed from being in puppy jail yep that was my post =) it also made me think that whoever owned her before didn’t play with her at all. She knows all about the couch but play not so much. I did get her to chase me around the house to get her plush toy which is funny to watch because I have terrazzo floors and she just slips and slides everywhere. She is starting to get more of a personality and I think it has to do with taking her on her beloved walks. Well that and the fact that I pile all kinds of love on her. She doesn’t sleep in the bed with me, although she wants to. Someone before must have taught her to sleep at the corner end of the bed rather than getting on it. She did that from the first night. Ever so often she tries to get on the bed but I tell her no and she lays in her spot in a huff! LOL I bought her the nicest fluffiest bed with microfiber cover… she wont sleep in it. Instead she prefers the expensive blankets from my bed that have fallen to the floor… really need to pick those up!! LOL She is a great couch buddy though and loves to waller all over me until she finds her spot… then gets aggravated with me when I have to get up to do something! LOL She is my Velcro dog! She loves the sun as well. i wsh i had a bigger yard for her to enjoy. My atrium is good for her though since it is a large enclosed space i dont have to worry about her when we are out there.

kendseycollins
    Participant

That’s very cute!  When we were looking for a puppy we were adament that we would not let him get away with things like sleeping on the bed.  Kaos slept with us from day one 😉 He was just so cute and tiny tiny (he was the runt and weighed 4 lbs when we got him, now he weighs 70.)  He has a bed, complete with blanket and pillow that he gets tucked into every night.  He’s very spoiled.  He’s ok with sleeping on the floor next to us, unless his covers come off.  Then he gets cold and wants to cuddle.  I have faith that your little girl will get more and more confident as time goes on.  Part of the deal with pits is that they get very attached to people and if her previous owners just dumped her it may take her a little bit to truly open up to you.  Keep encouraging her, keep up the walks and give her time to settle in.  It sounds like she’s one of the very lucky ones.  And I totally know what you mean about the velcro dog! If my husband and I shut Kaos out of the bathroom he will cry, with tears and everything till we come out.  He used to try to follow us into the shower too.  This wasn’t too bad, till he got so big that there isn’t enough room for him!  As time goes on her true personality will start to shine through.  She’ll become more attached and trusting of you and I would put money on it that she’ll just blossom into the best little dog you’ve ever had!

southern_pit79
    Participant

Well she is already fantastic! If I take her on an extended walk she rests for a minute and then she wants to run like crazy and play with her plush toy. She uses her bed now, she suddenly started jumping  in the bed with me last week. I couldn’t figure it out until one night she tried to sneak in the bed about 2am. As much as a pit can sneak! LOL she curled up on my arm and shoulder and put her head on my throat, ( a little hard to sleep like that), and she was shivering. At first I was just barely awake and thought ugh I don’t want to get out of bed who cares if she is in bed with me. Then I thought no I can’t set a pattern. I realized she was cold so I moved her bed so that it was between the wall and my bed where the floor fan couldn’t blow on her. Its also in a spot where she can see me easier and I think she likes that as well. I told her to get down and she went right to the bed. I got a cover and put it on her. Now when it is time to go to bed at night or take a nap she goes right to her bed I don’t have to tell her to do it. She still licks though LOL

lol, my dog did that sometimes too. She has never neen in a shelter. She’s goofy sometimes. I just told her “that’s enough”. I supect that she is fantasizing about food or is licking the scent off whatever it is.

She left plenty of wet spots around and it was poretty funny.

Do you have kids around? My dog did it where kids had been.

southern_pit79
    Participant

No kids, its just me and her. It doesnt matter what it is, her side, the couch, her foot, the floor, my bed, her bed, etc… there is no rhyme or reason. I guess its just something she does, although i would like her to stop… she can soak the furniture!! its not great kicking my feet up on the couch and there is a wet spot! LOL

oh my, I guess not!

My roomate’s kids had to wear drenched clothes because my dog licked them until they were soaked .

My Pitt has licked a big wet spot in my bed and I had to sleepo on towels.

best of luck with your furbaby.

kendseycollins
    Participant

Ha ha!  That’s awesome that she’s settling in and starting to play more.  I had a feeling it would just take a little time.  Sounds like she’s becoming very attached to you!  Kaos gets in bed with us when he gets cold too. He’s 70 lbs and takes up half the bed. It rained last night and he tried to climb in bed. I kicked him off and he climbed INTO my clothes hamper.  He must have been leaning against the side, because when I got up this morning he was cuddled up with my pillow that had fallen onto the floor and the basket was broken.

southern_pit79
    Participant

LOL they are funny dogs! Layla must have some sinus problems, she sounds like she is “snoring” when i pet her but she is wide awake. if she was a cat i would call it purring because that sound only comes when i pet her. She also vocalizes, it isnt a bark or a growl. Its kinda quiet and she does it when she is really happy.. almost like a hmmmmm hmmmmmm hmmmm. She got on the bed last night too right after i got into bed put her face right on mine, (i was laying on my side), when i told her to get down i swear she said AAAWWWW! and every time i said it she would make that noise, snuggle closer to me, and put her head in a different spot, on my forhead, neck, throat, etc… when i sat up and told her to get up she sat up and buried her muzzle under my arm. She didnt want to move. She finally did though. LOL

I dont get the sound she makes though. I havent heard of another dog doing that.

kendseycollins
    Participant

They are very funny.  Kaos does that too.  He snores and snorts and grunts when he gets loves and he makes loads of embarassing noises.  He litterally yells at me if I fall asleep and he wants to play.  It’s obnoxious.  I think it probably has something to do with the way their faces are structured, with shorter snouts and heavier muscles.  Sometimes I wonder if Kaos has room for a brain in his head, with such a big smile!

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

You haven’t lived until your dog starts snoring during a confrence call with your West Coast office!
    The hazards of bringing your Pit to work! XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.