Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Leash pulling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    adpit
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, I’m so glad I found this site! I have a 2 1/2 year old, loving, loyal, goofy pit named Rocky. He’s been a dream to train compared to the springers I used to have, except that at the beginning of walks, he pulls like crazy for the first 15 minutes. I’ve tried everything Cesar Millan recommends, I’ve tried everything recommended in Pit Bulls for Dummies, I tried all the tips in the Puppy Whisperer book when he was a puppy, I’ve tried friends’ suggestions, but no dice. He tends to pull less with a harness, but not much less. He’s a very calm dog except the first part of a walk. I’ve become so resigned that I simply put him in the car, take him to a nearby park where he can run freely (with me by his side — he’s so devoted that he never strays!), I take him on long hikes on the weekend on nearby trails, etc. I dream of a day when I can just put his leash on on a weekday morning or a weeknight and take him for a long, vigorous walk through the neighborhood. Any suggestions?

Nickolex443
    Participant

Keep treats in your pockets and let him know you have them…start out by putting the treat directly at your side(arm straightened to your side with treat in hand)…show it to him and get his attention, while he’s licking your hand to try and get the treat take a few steps and give it him while he’s still at your side..say heel or whatever command you want to use before you decide to actually give him the treat and say good boy and he’ll start associated the command with food or praise..once you get past that and he is still pulling then stop everytime he pulls and make him sit or turn around and go the other direction everytime. I did my other one by when she pulled I’d yank her leash a tiny bit and say “uh uh” in a low voice and stop(she isn’t food motivated) until she sat or looked back at me and slowed down. Now I have one who stays completely by my side and the other that leads but everytome she goes a little faster then I am and she feels the leash tighten without me even doing it she turns back to me and looks and keeps walking without it pulling. All dogs are different with training methods that works for them..just takes trial and error with each..and some are by far more frustrating then others

wtddaalw
    Participant

I had the same problem with my 6mon pit mix. The local pet store sold me something called a gental lead harness in stead of leading from the back it leads from the chest, I took a long time for my baby girl to get used to it (2-3 weeks) but it stop 95% of the pulling. I had to used that for about 4-6 weeks and now I can walk her with a regular harness and she prances along right at my side… It may not always work however if you go to a petco or something to that idea they have a 30 return so it won’t hurt to try.

deborahbgkelly
    Participant

Sorry. We are still working on this with Peaches, but she’s getting better after taking training classes/workshops in Leash Walking. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.