Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Jumping

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    [email protected]
    Participant

Spot on,nothing more can be said :))

oaudoma
    Participant

I have a one year old also, and the knee thing doesn’t work.  She just gets in her play stance and charges at me again.  She jumps on absolutely everyone. 

oaudoma
    Participant

The water bottle thing does sound a little harsh to me, but I’ve tried everything.  The bending the knee, ignoring her, crossing my arms, but as soon as she calms down and I go to pet her she starts up again.  She is so strong, she leaves me with bruises all over.  I take her to the dog park and she’s jumping on strangers.  I’m not sure what to do to correct this problem.  I keep thinking that maybe it’s because she’s still a puppy, she just turned one.

GUILBEAU
    Participant

I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST THE SPRAY BOTTLE, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SURE YOU DONT LET YOUR DOG JUMP ON YOU EITHER. EVEN ON COMMAND BC IT MAKES THEM THINK ITS OK TO SHOW LOVE THAT WAY. ANOTHER TECNIQUE IS TO TAKE HIM OUT THE ROOM WHEN HE JUMPS ON NEW PEOPLE, REPEAT AS NECESSARY UNTIL HE GETS THE IDEA. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP. PLEASE HELP OUR CAUSE AND JOIN IN ON OUR FORUM AT http://WWW.CAJUNPITBULLS.COM

Josh4207987
    Participant

I have 2 rednose Pitbulls. they are awesome. Molly, she has the jumping problem too.. do you have a taller dog? thats what i think mollys problem is.. her brother gets the attention before her and she doesnt like it… im going to try the spray bottle too i think it might work with her. Hopefully..

Josh4207987
    Participant

Everyone that owns a Pitbull Needs to read this Post!   Great advice!

kendseycollins
    Participant

I agree with the advice given here. Consistency is very important. However, it’s also important to find what works for your dog. If a spray bottle works for you, that’s great, if the knee thing works, cool, if ignoring the behavior works, more power to you (it  sure didn’t for me.)  But, if you are still struggling, you could try the technique that works for us.  We tried the spray bottle, Kaos drank the water, we tried the knee or stepping into him, he just used our knees to hold himself up.  We tried ignoring him, but it’s very difficult to get other people to ignore him, plus he’s much too big to ignore.  He will knock you over if you don’t take control.  We trained Kaos to “Kennel Up” on command.  You can do the same thing with a bed, carpet or other type of designated area.  We worked very hard on this command daily while nobody was at our house.  At first we started by giving the command, then throwing a treat into the kennel. If you use something other than a kennel, just make sure you use it consistently.  Don’t give the command for a small rug one time, then the corner the next.  Once Kaos learned to associate the command with going into the kennel we then would give the command and make him stay in his kennel (it has no door) for a moment before rewarding him.  Once he was very solid with the command we put it into action.  When somebody comes into the house we allow Kaos to greet them.  When he gets too excited and jumps, or dispays any other type of nuisance behaviors, we give him the command.  He’s never happy about it because he doesn’t like being sent away.  That part is the same theory as ignoring him.  We then reward him while he is in the kennel, not being a nuisance.  This is positive reward for good behavior and works sooo much better than constantly yelling!  The other nice thing is that it can be used repeatedly.  At first Kaos would come out of his kennel and dive bomb our guests.  We would send him right back to his kennel. The idea is similar to time out for children. It allows us to regain command, gives the dog a moment to chill, and is a reward for positive behavior.  We had guests over last night and Kaos was amazingly well behaved!  He even fell asleep on the back porch while we were barbecueing.  This method takes a little bit of dedication and practice, but can be used in so many ways.  Things like problem barking etc. can be solved by sending the dog to his or her spot, then rewarding them for the correct behavior.

southern_pit79
    Participant

Good suggestions everyone. I am going to start on this tonight on my walk with Layla. She is so well behaved this is really the only issue…. so far, I have only had her for a few days. She LOVES meeting new people. Once they see she is sweet they love all over her… which adds to her excitment. I am going to try the ignore suggestion. She loves to be loved and she is very smart. I think she will get it. I will let you know how successful we are.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.