Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Jaws of steel

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    pittylover14
    Participant

I agree, your dog is probably bored and having a young pit and a newborn baby myself, I know just how hectic it can be. Try looking into a dog park that you may have in your area. I don’t have the time to play and give my dog exercise so I just try to take him to the park once a week maybe every two weeks and it works wonders. It lets him release energy that he has been saving up and it also helps him socialize with other dogs which is extremely important since most pits are known to be dog aggressive if not socialized.

as far as the chewing, I think that’s a problem that all pits have. My baby boy has chewed through EVERYTHING listed here haha. The almost indestructable ball, the nylabone, the Kong, everything. Although, I am definitley going to give the boomerball a try.

Just try not to stress out too much. I can see how much you love your dogs and I respect the fact that your sticking to it regardless of his behavioral issues, when most would just take it to the pound instantly (mainly why you find so many pits and all kinds of dogs in the pound). Although, I sincerely do think that you may want to look into finding him another owner who can put in the time and effort that he needs as far as training and exercise goes because it seems that you may be a bit overwhelmed. I know how hard its going to be to even think about it, but don’t just throw the option out of the window. I hope everything works out for you

Karis320
    Participant

I saw on here someone had made the statement of the rope toys which are a great toy as long you are supervising your dog with the toy. I would strongly recommend that these toys NEVER be left alone with the dog. While working at a veterinary hospital we had a 6 month old lab puppy come in very ill, vomiting and wasn’t able to eat. Through all various testing, x-ray, and lab work couldn’t find any source of the illness. It was finally determined that exploratory surgery would be needed to find an obstruction as this was the only other possibility for such symptoms. During this surgery it was discovered that the dog had a rope toy in his stomach and a few strands of the rope toy were wrapped around the very back of his tongue causing this rope toy to stay logged right were it was. All of this could have been avoided and the over 900.00 vet bill if the owner would have just supervised the dog with this toy. Just a cautionary note 🙂

Zr
    Participant

There is a reason that nature often kills the runts of litters. These dogs are deformed, to put it bluntly. They are nowhere near the standard for the American Pit Bull Terrier. It’s similar to ‘teacup’ dogs; actually, it’s the exact same with a different name. Breed the worst of the litter with the worst of the litter to create something with so many health problems it will die at a young age.

Rehome some of your dogs if you cannot handle them all. Your mind set reminds me quite a bit of a hoarder; you’re overwhelmed, you cannot handle the animals you have with your children, the animals must go. It’s a simple solution to a problem that could otherwise end in tragedy. A frustrated dog WILL snap. Your dog is giving you all the signs. Do NOT make it give you the final sign of biting your childs face off.

MSmith
    Participant

Try Rescue Remedy for the separation anxiety. You can find it at Whole Foods or other stores that sell holistic remedies. Just put a couple of drops on his tongue or in his food. It’s designed to calm their nerves and I’ve heard it works well.

sluggybuggy
    Participant

Take a look at Gough Nuts. Look pretty good also. http://www.goughnuts.com

Dukximas
    Participant

My baby gave me the same problem. I only have one dog and no kids and he would never stay in a cage. Even as a puppy he wanted out, some dogs just do not want to be caged. Honestly the thought of a concrete bunker crossed my mind as well after he went through steel cages a few times. We did figure out that it was seperation anxiety, but he grew out of it. I think he was just anxious even though we had him from birth he never stayed in a cage when we put him in there. He also used to chew the wood from the back door while we were gone and there is only one ball he cannot destroy, the boomerball. He will need a lot of love and reassurance but you keep working with him and it might work. He may just need more excercise also but too many dogs and kids could be causing the anxiety b/c pits just love to be the number one baby.

Tonya Dean
    Participant

I like all the toy suggestions, but I have one that works wonders when it rains or I am studying. We call it the “red eye of death” lol. Actually, it is a laser pointer. Bully will chase the red dot until he drops. It is great exercise and he will pick up the laser pointer and beg me to turn it on. I think it provides a lot of mental stimulation. My dog went through a seperation anxiety when I first rescued him. I left him in the laundry room and came home to find he had chewed a hole through a wooden door. I was horrified and we went to the vet. The vet and the trainer helped us solve this anxiety. I think you see it alot in rescued dogs.

ladybutterfly
    Participant

I need some help i have a 8 wks pitbull girl this is the first time i have ever owned a pitbull- i have always been afraid of them because of all the stories that ive been told about how aggressive these dogs are. My puppy is such a menace which is totally normal shes just a baby but she has the bad habit of biting, if i pet her or hold her she grabs my hand and wont let go (which is very painful!!!) i play with her and she runs w full force towards me and bites my hands, hair, or my leg. Im trying to train her but its been difficult she just love to bite my hands… and im afaid that this will make her aggressive when shes older & attack me or my family. is this something that she will get over or should i be concerned????…i really love my little puppy but i dont want her 2 be aggressive like this. if anyone could please give me some advise i would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Taana
    Participant

When she bites (any part of your body) make a loud sharp noise/clap hands. Stop play immediately! put her in her crate or room for a few minutes. She will learn that biting is not acceptable. But everyone in your house must be on the same page and do it the same way. Do not let those cute puppy eyes and face get the better of you. She must learn this is not acceptable. I personally do not allow tug games with our pit but you will find others that don’t have a problem with it. Mine is too big. Even when we are playing with his toys and he accidentally bites me. I make a loud sound and play stops. If she is teething (which is not an excuse for biting). I provide a sock filled with older clean socks and knotted at the opening. I soak in water n frozen. It’s like a big teething ring. This will help her if she is teething.

BullyMomOf2
    Participant

I had this same problem when we got Lady. She was from an abusive home and was very shy. She had serious anxiety problems at first so I took some time off to stay with her until she got used to the house. The first day she and Georgia were left alone in their room, Lady managed to chew out of her crate(which any other time she loved to be in) and through a wall into the closet where we found her when we got home. She had also ripped the trim off around the door. That night I went and bought every large hard rubber toy I could find and within 10 minutes they were in pieces. I also tried the Nyla Bones and she snapped those in half and swallowed a sharp piece which cut her intestine and had to be repaired. So I’m right there with you! I can’t find anything she can’t destroy. We now take them for a walk before we leave the house for a few hours and they stay out in the house. We have had a few trash mishaps but she hasn’t destroyed anything since.

michelleo667
    Participant

For a crate I would recommend a plastic ASPCA one we got from Wal Mart for about $60. The wire door is to small knit for him to be able to chew. As for toys well ev evrything we get for our baby last about 5 minutes. Even the much advised Kong toys fared no better. So now we give him doggy bones when we must leave him in his crate. Trust me a crate is a must have unless you like getting new couches or matresses or shoes….my poor shoes lol. Also try tiring him out before yo place him in the crate. Good luck.

melissa_9485
    Participant

I am not sure what you have available in your area and how you dogs are with others, but we take out pit bull puppy to doggy daycare. I know many people have giving me crap about this, but it is the best thing we could have ever done. Try to search for bark central in your area, they rock. They take great care of our dog and she goes there once a week and comes home so tired and well behaved, it takes her about 3 days to get all her energy back. They first evaluate your dog to see if they can be there and get along with everyone and once you pass that, you are good to go. She loves it, I can tell she recognizes the building every time we go, and with being a puppy we expected some chewing and behavior problems, but we haven’t had anything major because we make sure she works off her energy. I can definitely tell if she hasn’t been to daycare or walked for a few days because of weather. I know this option isn’t going to be available to everyone but it is well worth it if you have it in your area.

tuki-n-minnie
    Participant

i FOUND THAT THE VERY HEAVY DUTY TWISTED BRAIDED ROPES WORKED BEST FOR MY BOY… tHE ONLY TOY HE HAS HAD FOR A YR!!! EVERYTHING ELSE LASTS 10 MINUTES…. THE ROPE IS ONE OF THE LARGEST .. IT WAS CLOSE TO 30 DOLLARS BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! PETCO IS WHERE I FOUND IT, AND IT HAS A LARGE BALL ATTATCHED, WHICH ALSO IS STILL IN ONE PEICE…. MY FEMALE , SHE HAS TO BE IN A CRATE WHEN IM NOT HOME, SHE CHEWS RUGS, FURNITURE, SHOES… U NAME IT.. BUT ONLY WHEN IM NOT HOME, I THINK ITS A SEPRATION ANXIETY THING… BECAUSE WHEN IM HOME SHE DOESNT CHEW ON ANYTHING.. HER AND MY MALE TUG OF WAR WITH THE LARGE ROPE TOY….

Bloo
    Participant

My dog has chewed through walls and doors as a puppy. We had pretty much given up on toys a while ago until someone recommended a Nylabone Rhino bone. One lasted her for 2 years, and we just got another. They are safe to swallow too so no worries. She is a pretty good chewer too. I would highly recommend one. They are pricey though. Ours was $20, but sooooo worth it!

Oh and that ball lasted us 10 minutes! Lol. She loves her balls.

Here is a link to the bone. Get the biggest one.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3206935&lmdn=Brand

jesse2009
    Participant

I adopted my pit a while ago, or better he adopted us. I have a daughter that is getting rid off most he stuffed animals, most of them are good toys for the dogs ( I also have 2 labs) I bet lots aft them are available at yardssales. I never had a pit and did not know how destructive they get if they don’t get the exercise, until he started to “eat”my bed.LOL. I got some toys for my labs that have been around for a long time and Spike likes them but for some reason don’t destroy them, BUT yeah here it comes and I bet everybody knew a but was coming.

since I have not the time to take him on long walks, I go out in the backyard with 2 frisbees. I have to have 2 because he woun’t give it up for me to trow again and if I try to take it, it turnes into a battle between us. Sure he destroys the frisbees, but I get a few day out of them and they are not that expensive (cheaper then a new bed) When I went to the dollar store I found I guess frisbee rings? Its like a frisbee with a hole in the middle. It war soooo funny. we went out to play and them things can fly! they are really flixible and I thought maybe the will last a bit longer.What was I thinking?LOL. But I got such a good laught out of it that it was worth the money. So, he goes and fetches the ring, he has to chew it while he is walking, here the thing flippes up and over his head, now he had a halo! lol. he tried to get it off, but he trew it up and it came down and around his mouth. omg I was laughting. A pit with a halo, who would have thought!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.