Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Jaws of steel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Titan
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m the grandmama of a lovable 90lb baby myself, he’s a year and a half. Loves to chew his toys but destroys them in no time. Where did you find this almost indestructible ball? He doesn’t chew anything in the house, he’s great as far as that goes, it’s his toys. I want something to last.
    Dallas loves to jump at bubbles. He has chewed field hockey balls, gone through soft balls, I swear if he could he’d chew the bat. WE love him. Please anyone get back to me with ideas

Raleigh908
    Participant

You sound just like me! My pit has destroyed 2 wire crates and a plastic crate. She doesn’t mind going in it at night but if you leave her in it during the day or when we go out, she freaks out. I ended up talking to my vet and she now takes a sedative before we leave her for more than a few hours. It works wonders. It calms her down enough to where she will stay in the crate and be comfortable. I hate having to do it but I couldn’t afford to continue to buy crates and she hasn’t shown us that she can be trusted alone in the house.

As for the toys, I haven’t found anything that Raleigh can’t destroy. She has managed to destroy the black Kongs to the point where I can’t even put treats in them. She loves the red Kong ball and that seems to be the only thing that hasn’t been destroyed. You might try plastic bottles… like liter bottles. Raleigh loves those and they’re a cheap toy. I take off the label and top and let her go at it. Those seem to last the longest.

cynja1005
    Participant

thats funny my dogs love plastic bottles too but i just worry about them eating the little sharp pieces that they rip off. Also i know exactly where you are coming from my dogs are fine if they are left out one at a time but if i try to leave all five of them out at the same time they have a blast destroying my house and thats even if i walk them before i leave. The one that chews the worst is not fully house broken, if we are watching her she is fine but as soon as we leave her alone of she is out of our sight she love to poop all over my house and pee on our beds i tried closing off all the rooms and she recently chewed through the door to get into my room. This situation is becoming a nightmare but i hate to give her up because i have her sister too and i think that they will be heart broken. Having five pits and three kids is tons of work and it really wears a person down but i just dont have the heart to give any of them up!!!

cynja1005
    Participant

First of all it was not the original plan that i would be responsible for five pits on my own but the cards did not play out how i had originally planned, its not the dogs fault that things changed and i know am solely responsible for them and im not going to make them pay that price. Second of all i really dont need a lesson about the pitbull breed as i have said previously i have raised pits all of my life so i know all about the breed. I realize that they are high energy dogs and that they need a lot of exercise and training which they get everyday several times a day but in doing so with my children things become hectic because i have to watch the kids and the dogs and make sure that the dogs arent knocking over the kids while im training one and i all around just need to either have more eyes and hands or a whole nother person to help whereas i dont see either one of those happening soo my life is and will most likely remain HECTIC!!!!

As for the whole pocket pit thing, what exactly do you think pit bulls are? The orginal pit bull is a mix between an american bull dog, a mastiff, and an american terrier. So the origianl american pit bull terrier is a mix of different breeds. The pocket pit is an american pit bull terrier 100% they are only given the title pocket pit if they are 17″ or shorter standing on all fours. Its possible to breed full sized pits and have one puppy from the litter be a “pockeyt pit” To breed pocket pits they dont mix breeds all they do is take the smallest dogs from the litter or the “runts” and breed them together to make small pits. Basically any pitbul that stands 17″ tall or shorter can be classified as a pocket pit and they have no more or less health problems then any other American Pitbull Terrier, they are they same dog, just in a smaller size!!!

MARY MARINEAU
    Participant

KONGS NEVER HEARD OF THEM BEFORE, WILL GO TO PETGO AND SEE IF THEY HAVE THEM AND FOR BONES SHE LOVES THEM THEY LAST AWHILE WITH HER STILL HAVE HER LAST ONE, BOUGHT HER AND HER PUP AND MY SON’S RESCUED PIT PRINCESS A HUGE BEEF FLAVORED BONE THE OTHER DAY THEY STILL HAVE IT THANK GOD, THEY LOVE THOSE THINGS,AS FOR PLASTIC BOTTLES MY PIT VIDA JUST LOVES THEM. SHE USED TO EAT UP EVERYTHING OF MINE, LOST TWO PAIRS OF TIMS BECAUSE OF HER OH WELL SHE DOESN’T DO THAT NO MORE THE OLER SHE GOT THE MORE LAYED BACK AND THE MORE SHE OBEYED ME , LOVE MY BULLY AND HER PUP CHULA AND PRINCESS THEY ARE ALL LOVABLE AND FAMILY.

crazypitbulllover
    Participant

Cynja not to argue but for someone that supposedly has been raising pits all their life you really need to brush up on their origin so here is a quick break down they originally came from england and ireland weighed no more than 40 poynds we adapted them here to be bigger and heavier and more hardy and they were originally bred down from bulldogs and white terriers not american bulldogs amd mastiffs or american terriers and the dog you have pictured has some flaws in his/her legs which can lead to health issues looks like the front legs splay out and her paws are not of the correct standard per the breeding guideline they are to be cat like in shape and the hind legs look like they bow out and when the originally breeders of the american pitbull terrier started breeding them here they followed strict breeding policies that all true breeders follow such as Mr. Ed Budreaux,Mr.Louis Colby,to name a few but you do have a nice dog as for owning five i can relate caue at one time i had 17 dogs in my yard and it was alot of work for myself and i been involved with pits for over 15 years owning and breeding and rescue of these great dogs but thgis particular dog might have seperation anxiety

cynja1005
    Participant

Actually you may need to brush on your pitbull history. If you search the history of pit bulls you will get hundreds of variations of how pits were created, it is a highly debated topic but commonly you will find that they say pits came from a mix of breeds being the american mastiff the bull dog and the terrier, in some text it even says that the pit bull was made by breeding mastiffs and terriers and that they called this dog a bull dog only because it was used for bull bating and that it was not actually a bull dog. basically im not say your wrong or that im wrong but it really depends on where you do you research, the history of the american pitbull terrier is unknown there is no exact proof of all the details of the history all we can do is research others peoples findings and opinions. Also i dont know why you feel like you need to educate me i wasnt even talking to you i was responding to a commet that someone else left to me!!!!! When i feel like im being attacked i defend myself and thats all there is too it

As for the dog that i have pictured there is nothing wrong with him his legs and his frame is fine because he is in the “POCET PIT” class not the standard american pit bull terrier class. He has won awards in his class and unless you are a vet i suggest you keep makeshift diagnosis to your self because i dont listen to medical advice to people who have supposedly have owned pit for over 15 years and thinks that makes them the pitbull guru of the world. So thank but not thanks!!!! and my award winning dog is in perfect health with perfect little legs for his frame!!!!!!

Taana
    Participant

Pocket pits are very ingenious. My neighbor had one and he loved our house, he would find a way to get out of his 6ft locked cage with bricks and tires on the top and sides,dug under 2 fences to get to our house. He scratched our screen out to get inside and then walk into the front room and lay down. I think he thought he lived with us lol. The neighbors moved but I’m waiting to find him sitting one day in our house again.lol. But back to the original question…Have you tried giving him more space. My pit did the same thing until I simply closed him in a spare room with his water, food n toys with a radio or tv on. Didn’t have a problem again. When we get home he is sleeping on his bed.
    You can get the almost indestructable ball online at Petco.com $12.00 for lrg and I think $10 for small. Beastely loves it, we have to throw a box over it to get him to stop playing with it. You want to make sure the peanut butter is natural or fat free if you are worried about weight gain n freeze it. I also freeze low fat yogurt. Also you can purchase an interactive dog feeder so that you can put in kibbles or treats for him to roll around to get goodies. I need the extreme kong but I even have to watch him with that because when he going you never know. Have you tried a spring pole in the yard for the yard.

sluggybuggy
    Participant

Have the same problem with my pittie, he will chew through anything you give him. Haven’t tried this yet but I read up on it and it sounds promising. They are called Boomer Balls and they are actually made for zoo animals such as lions and tigers and such. So they would have to be pretty strong I would assume. Go to boomerball.com and check it out. They are a pretty reasonable price for what they are.

Taana
    Participant

The boomer ball is almost the same thing as the almost indestructable ball but cheaper.

criminy
    Participant

You say you don’t want to “make them pay that price” for you being overwhelmed with dogs and children, but that is precisely what you’re doing. Your inadequacy as a dog owner has gotten to the point where one of your dogs is CHEWING THROUGH A METAL CAGE and is out of control! There is no magical dog toy you can throw at this dog that will solve all of his problems so you can go back to ignoring him. I shudder to think of what the other dogs are going through.

You’re seeking help from an online forum because one of your nearly half a dozen dogs has severe behavior issues that you admit you are unable to control.You admit that you can’t be a responsible owner to all of your dogs while being a responsible parent or caretaker to all of the children.

You “realize that they are high energy dogs and that they need a lot of exercise and training,” but you also say you don’t have time to give it to them because it’s just too dang hard and “HECTIC!!!!” If you actually knew a blasted thing about this breed, or dogs in general, like you keep insisting you do, I would think you would realize that a situation where NUMEROUS dogs are being neglected and not cared for or trained is not exactly an ideal situation for anyone involved.

“i all around just need to either have more eyes and hands or a whole nother person to help whereas i dont see either one of those happening soo my life is and will most likely remain HECTIC!!!!”

What you need is to put your “pocket pits” into a deserving home where someone will be willing, and competent enough, to give them proper care and attention. Either that, or do it for the kids!

criminy
    Participant

Furthermore, you have yet to address whether or not this poor dog is neutered. Judging by your record so far, I’d bet my bottom dollar he’s not.

matt
    Participant

Criminy,

Appreciate your passion, but please tone it down. You can get your point across without being mean and resorting to personal attacks.

criminy
    Participant

What this person is inflicting upon their dogs (and children) amounts to nothing less that abuse. My tone may seem harsh to you, but I was under the impression that the members of this forum agreed that these are “dogs for smart people.” Even with just that line of reasoning, it’s clear they are completely unqualified to own those unfortunate animals.

matt
    Participant

Be that as it may, personal attacks will not be tolerated. You can get your point across without them. If you can’t, then you need some work yourself. Or find a different place to post.

Yes, they are dogs for smart people. But just calling someone dumb doesn’t really help the matter when they have posted on this forum for advice and help.

Behavioral science even applies to humans. The next person who is having problems might not bother with this forum or post here at all because they have seen how people are treated who have the nerve to ask for help and advice.

You catch more flies with sugar.

Being a smart person doesn’t give anyone the excuse to be an ass.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.