Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Injuries

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adelia
    Participant

Hi guys,

my 2 years-old pit cut his pad 1 week ago. The cut is very deep but he doesnt seem to be hurt or suffer. Ive done many research on the net. We went to the vet, he put stitches on it and told us that the dog should not run. We really took care of him, I was always home with hime making sure that he wouldnt run or go outside (cause we have a big property). But after 3 days the stitches came out anws, so we went back to the vet and he decided that stitches were not the best thing for a pad (cause anws he gonna walk on it), so he just asked us to change his bandage twice a day, and gave us some antibiotics. And also ask us to avoid water on the bandage.

Anws we are doing this for few days now. I was just wondering if someone had the same problem and if you have any advice cause it looks like it will take couple of weeks or months to heal.

Thanks a lot

You may want to go down to either a vet, or pet store and get him a cone, either an “elizabethian” (e-collar for short), or any one really, in case she irritates it by licking it. It’s also a very good idea also to use ALL the antibiotics, and maybe put neosporin on it. As long as she isn’t licking it constantly, or getting it wet, or playing and running too much, she should heal ok.

adelia
    Participant

Thanks for your comment. The thing is dat he did not remove it by himself, but I guess that the titches werent tight enought so after a while, when he was walking, it just openned by itself.

And now the vet doesnt want to put new stitches cause he said that this area is too fragile.

But as your saying we are giving him all the antibiotics and we are trying to avoid water (its raining a lot here so its difficult, we have to let him go do his buisness every morning and night), but when he comes back we always change his bandage.

AnwsI guess that it will take longer then with the stitches.

The funny part is that while yesterday I was trying to open a bottle of medicin to change his bandage, I cut myself bad. So I had to go to the hospital cause it was pretty deep and I couldnt moove my hand. So he gave me stiches and antibiotics as well as pain killers.

Lol very ironic! So now my fiance is laughing at me and our dog, cause we look like two handicapped hihi.

Tc

jesse2009
    Participant

The paws are hard to fix. well,try this.  wrap up his paw tightly (not to tight) and put on a dog boot. Tape that to his leg.Have you ever seen videos were dog have them booties on? they dont like walking on them. In some stores or at the vet you can buy calming pills for dogs. Might have to resort to that so that he will stay down as much as possible. Good luck

jems
    Participant

You may try keeping him in his kennel so that he will stay off of his feet more.The quieter you can keep him the quicker he will heal. Good Luck.

bigdiesel
    Participant

i don’t know if it would in your dogs case or not, but it might be worth asking your vet about using new skin (the krazy glue like liqud bandage). there are doctors using on people, so it might be worth seeing what the vet has to say. if he thinks it’s okay, i’m sure it would do a much greater job than bandages or stitches at keeping the wound from reopening as well as keeping bacteria or germs from getting in it and causing infection.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.